Vagrant Startup - Failed to attach the network LUN

(Unable to comment on the pinned post on this subject, so creating a new post…)
As an FYI, for anyone else that encounters this problem…

When starting up Vagrant for the first time, I encountered the following (using VirtualBox 6.0.16):

Stderr: VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to open/create the internal network ‘HostInterfaceNetworking-VirtualBox Host-Only Ethernet Adapter’ (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND).

VBoxManage.exe: error: Failed to attach the network LUN (VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_NOT_FOUND)

VBoxManage.exe: error: Details: code E_FAIL (0x80004005), component ConsoleWrap, interface IConsole

I resolved it by selecting an alternative network adaptor, as per the attached.Network-Adaptor

2 Likes

Hi @Andrew_01236,

Thanks for sharing this with the community :slight_smile: .

~ Shubham

Be careful that you’re selecting the correct Host-Only adapter because the IP address needs to match what is specified in the vagrantfile.

To check what IP is used for each adapter:
Open VBox > click File > Host Network Manager

A more suitable resolution would to fix the root cause and let vagrant do all the setup. There are other threads on here that discuss variations of this Host-Only adapter problem.

Exactly right! …as I have just had the fun of experiencing in the last couple of hours.

This network interface was right for the default IP specified in Vagrantfile. And I could connected “mongod-m103” directly in VirtualBox (i.e. click the icon).
BUT, when “vagrant up --provision” was run from Windows cmd, it automatically changed the interface defined in OracleBox from #2 back to ‘#1’. And so complained about the IP.

The problem is that the IP specified in the Vagrantfile MUST be used, it cannot be changed, it seems (otherwise complaints further down the line).
So my solution was to delete interface #2, and re-define interface #1 with the what was #2’s IP address config. (So now I must fix all my other VMs that use #2).

Anyway, got there. Hope it makes sense and useful to smn else.