Typo in security 2 part's video

The instructor connects through port number 27017 while in the previous stages of course we were ordered to change the port to 27000.

Hi Mousa_84706,

In this Lecture, The mongod configuration file which is used for explanation is: /etc/mongod.conf which is the default configuration of mongod.

If you see the contents of this file, you will see the port used configurationguration is 27017, that’s why the Instructor is using this port as an example.

net:
  port: 27017

There are always 2 things: Lectures and Labs.
Lectures are developed for better understanding and explanation of the subject. Labs are the exercises that need to be done by students for their proper understanding of the subject.

The Lecture may show you some port/host or any configuration and Lab will ask you to things differently.

I advice you to setup your environment and configuration on the basis of Labs only.

Hope it explains!

Kanika

1 Like

Hi Kanika
Thanks for your complete explanation. I thought the videos is based on the lab configuration too .
by the way i used lab config file but could’nt been able to use the localhost exception to create root user. I ended up using --useAuthenticationDatabse admin option with the user m103-admin

If lectures do not match the labs why do they have “copy” options?
I’ve been fighting this port and path switching the whole course so far.
It sure would be nice if they created lectures that matched the labs or specifically had the “courses <> labs” warning first thing after every “Lecture Instructions” before the command copy list.

It is confusing and seems very strange to have a lecture about creating the first (ROOT) user so far after having created the first user.

They’re there for two reasons:

1. if you want to follow along
  2. for ease of reference… potentially useful in upcoming labs

Labs are graded and a test of the subject matter so it is implied and reasonable to assume that the arguments/parameters used in the lectures would be different from what is in the labs, i.e. the --port option is the same but the argument (27011) is different. There’s also an element of independent research as not all options are covered in the lectures.
This style of learning is akin to that of a University.

Agreed! And the same has been fed back to the Curriculum Service Engineers. But in the meantime, all of this is well documented and should be the first point of reference. We also have this discussion board for getting help with any course related questions.

2 Likes

Hi @PDXKDW,

Thanks for your feedback.

I hope you found @007_jb’s response helpful.

Can you please elaborate on this ? What lecture/lab are you referring to ?

~ Shubham

Thank you. The answers make sense.

The “Basic Security Part 2” lecture starts “Right now, we’re actually going to create our first MongoDB superuser.” Earlier in Chapter 1 In “Launching Mongod” lab we created m103-admin. I suppose the first time was to get us going, and the second time was to give us an understanding of the process.

1 Like

Perhaps, but I think that because the Localhost Exception is such an important concept and not just a mongod option/argument/parameter, it should have been initially lightly discussed prior to the “Launching Mongod” lab or highlighted in the lab itself. Your argument is valid!