Troubleshoot installing Compass 1.16.4 on Windows 10

I have downloaded latest Compass package for windows 10 - “mongodb-compass-1.16.4-win32-x64.msi”
Problem: : When tried to install this package, the installation screen does not appear on screen, except initial message-box showing message “Please wait while Windows configures MongoDB Compass Machine-Wide Installer”

But it appears in add/remove programs as “MongoDB Compass Machine-Wide Installer”

NOTE: .Net framework 4.6.2 is installed on machine.

Please help with troubleshooting the problem. Thanks.

1 Like

It’s confusing isn’t it? The installer finishes without indicating whether it succeeded or failed. Have a look in C:\Program Files (x86)\MongoDB Compass Installer. If you’ve got a file called MongoDBCompass.exe there, then run that, and that installs the actual Compass application.

Note that you need to have both a 64 bit processor and a 64 bit version of Windows - one of my devices has a 64 bit processor but 32 bit Windows and the install failed on that device. Right-click on “this PC” and view its properties to see the bitness of both your processor and of Windows.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Yes indeed silent installation was confusing. When tried to install package multiple times and next restarted machine and MongoDB Compass appeared in add/remove programs and as well as in start menu. Surprisingly installation happened silently.

Thanks for your reply.

facing the same issue in windows 10.

Hello Guys,
If you download the MSI version you might face this issue, but if try to run the .exe file stored in the Program ( C drive in windows) it will be installed.
Instead try this version to install compass without any issues:

Yep, I think that’s what we were supposed to do all along (i.e. not select the .msi option from the Platforms drop-down like @Prashant_24738 and I did).

@Kanika, I’ve spent a few hours browsing the older threads on this forum since completing chapter 1, and I’ve seen this question come up and be answered multiple times, yet it wasn’t at all obvious from the information I received when registering for the course (before chapter 1 became available), nor was it clear from the lecture notes on Lecture: Connecting to MongoDB Using Compass that we should select this option from the Platform drop-down list. Could you look at making this clearer for the next intake of students please?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hello, I faced the same issue and then I downloaded exe version and it worked on Windows 8 64bit.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. To add something in the lecture notes about this, please elaborate your OS, your issue and solution. Example:

Compass Version: 1.16.4 Stable
MSI / ZIP : MSI
Issue: Installation hanged
Solution: Installed ZIP

Kanika

Compass version: 1.16.4 Stable
MSI / ZIP: MSI
Issue: Running the MSI doesn’t install Compass
Solution: Located C:\Program Files (x86)\MongoDB Compass Installer\MongoDBCompass.exe (which is what the MSI appeared to install) and ran it, this installed Compass and all was OK

1 Like

Compass Version: 1.16.4 Stable
MSI / ZIP : MSI (mongodb-compass-1.16.4-win32-x64.msi)
Issue: Running MSI package the installation screen did not appeared on screen, except initial message-box showing message “Please wait while Windows configures MongoDB Compass Machine-Wide Installer”
Solution:

1. Tried to install package multiple times
  2. Next restarted machine
    and MongoDB Compass appeared in add/remove programs and as well as in start menu. Observation: installation happened silently.