Setting Up Replica Set mongod Error

When I run mongod -f node1.conf I get the following error:

about to fork child process, waiting until server is ready for connections.
forked process: 22116
ERROR: child process failed, exited with 1
To see additional information in this output, start without the "--fork" option.

Can someone help me out.

node1.conf

storage:
  dbPath: /var/mongodb/db/node1

net:
  bindIp: 192.168.103.100,localhost
  port: 27011

security:
  authorization: enabled
  keyFile: /var/mongodb/pki/m103-keyfile

systemLog:
  destination: file
  path: /var/mongodb/db/node1/mongod.log
  logAppend: true

processManagement:
  fork: true

replication:
  replSetName: m103-exaple

Which M103 lab are you doing?

Are the addresses/hosts specified in the configuration file valid on the machine you are using?

If you are using the IDE as you are supposed to do, the IP 192…100 is not a valid IP address for the IDE VMs. Most of the lab specifies to listen on localhost only anyway.

When specifying a log file, you should look at its content as you might find more information about the problem. Share the content of your log file if you are unsure.

1 Like

I am doing the Setting Up a Replica Set lab.
I am trying to run it locally along with the instructor.

You then have to use an IP address that is valid locally.

1 Like

Hi @Kengo_Wada,

First of all Welcome to the MongoDB Community forum. We wish you a happy learning.

Talking about your problem you need to use an IP address that is valid locally in your system for setting up a Replica Set.

Moreover, I will highly encourage you to first follow up with the course sequentially as it contains all the essential lab and quizzes which will surely help you to understand the concept practically, and after that, you should probably continue exploring it using your local machine.

In case of any doubts, please feel free to reach out to us and we will be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks,
Kushagra

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.