Realm Sync - Switch anonymous user to authenticated user after 90 days

I am building a utility app for iOS. I really want to avoid to push my users to sign-up at the first launch of my app. When my users are satisfied with my app and finally decide to sync their data across multiple devices, then they will pay for the feature and sign-up.

In this scenario, I must serve basic features with anonymous authentication for a while(might be forever), and then, when my user activates a paid feature, sync in this case, the user would sign-up and I will have to link user identities to the existing anonymously authenticated account.

But I see the document says “Realm may delete an Anonymous user object that is 90 days old (or older). When an account is deleted, it is not recoverable and any associated user data is lost. Documents created or modified by the user remain unaffected.” in this link

That means I have to tell my user “You have approx 90 days for free use. You must pay for the advanced features and sign up within 90 days, otherwise your data will be lost forever.”

As you guys know, many apps out there have a multi-devices sync feature as a paid plan. But it seems that this is not possible with MongoDB Realm Sync unless I push my users to sign-up at the first launch of my app.
I really do not want to do that because in that way I will obviously lose many potential users.

Any solution or best practices for this scenario?

Thanks.

Hey,

I didn’t know about this. But I’m pretty sure they’re talking about inactive anonymous users. Someone from Mongo should give you the answer. Maybe open a support ticket

However if you’re on iOS maybe consider offering Sign in with apple as mandatory as it’s very convenient, anonymous and people are used to it, then make the sync feature as part of a in-app subscription/purchase

Hey, Vincent.

Did you ever figure this out?

–Kurt