Realm Studio and Realm 12 (Mac)

Since updating the RealmSwift SDK to v12, I can no longer do live editing of the realm data in Realm Studio 11.1.2.
I get this error displayed

Realm file is currently open in another process which cannot share access with this process. All processes sharing a single file must be the same architecture.

I am using an M1 Mac. Is this the issue?

Ahh, yeah, I see how that error message could be confusing. This actually isn’t related to the system architecture - this is the error message when there’s a mismatch between the realm file version produced by the SDK and the realm files that Realm Studio can use. There will be an updated version of Realm Studio out shortly - probably later this week. We’re currently pushing a bunch of updates ahead of MongoDB World next week, and our coordination could have been better around this. Sorry about that!

@Dachary_Carey

Any updates on this as we are running into the issue and it’s really slowing development.

We have Realm Studio 11.2.1, SDK 10.28.2 and a macOS 12.4 App

If RealmStudio is opened prior to opening the app, we get this error in XCode

Error!

Realm file is currently open in another process which cannot share access with this process. All processes sharing a single file must be the same architecture. For sharing files between the Realm Browser and an iOS simulator, this means that you must use a 64-bit simulator. Path: /Users/…

If RealmStudio is opened after the app is opened, RealmStudio throws this error

Failed to open Realm

The file is already opened by another process, with an incompatible lock file format. Try up- or downgrading Realm Studio or SDK to match their versions of Realm Core.

See Realm Studio changelog on GitHub for details on compatibility between versions.

The Realm File(s) have been deleted and re-created to ensure they are fresh and up-to-date. (and yes, the .lock files all deleted etc)

Is this corrected with RealmStudio 12.0 ( Jun 7 2022 release date)?

Jay

This looks like a slightly different issue, @Jay . But these similar questions make me think I should add something to the docs to help folks troubleshoot these types of errors, so I’ll do that in the next week or two. In the meantime, the places where you can get info are the release notes for the SDK and Realm Studio.

For example, in the Swift SDK, v 10.28.2 says it is compatible with Realm Studio v 12.0.0. The other clue is at the bottom of the release notes where it says Internal; there is a realm-core version bump. I don’t think the one in 10.28.2 is an issue, but if you look at the 10.27.0 version of the Swift SDK, that has a note about a Realm Studio limitation:

Notably this includes Realm Studio, and v11.1.2 (the latest at the time of this release) cannot open Realm files which are simultaneously open in the simulator.

On the Realm Studio side, the release notes for v12.0.0 have a small compatibility table that lists Swift SDK 10.27.0 and newer, and describes this simultaneous open limitation in more detail.

Based on these notes, I’d say v 12.0.0 of Realm Studio should solve your problem.

@Dachary_Carey

Ah! We are not using iOS, nor any simulators so at first glance the issue noted in the release notes was mostly interacting with the simulator, not a live working Realm file. I now see (upon second glance) the “opened by another process” meaning any process.

Thanks for the heads up

Jay

I just installed latest versions of realm swift and realm studio for the first time. I am getting the same issue if I try to have realm studio with the database open when running in the simulator for iOS. If realm studio isn’t open it runs fine. Exact same error message as above. This is a one year old thread. Did anyone ever find out the issue?

@Dachary_Carey

Can you please include what the specific versions are?

RealmSwift:
Realm Studio:
CocoaPods (if that’s what’s being used):
XCode:
macOS/iOS:

I have the same problem. I can’t use RealmStudio while the application is running.

RealmSwift: 10.38.0
Realm Studio: 13.0.2
XCode: 14.3
macOS/iOS: 13.2.1/16.4

Installed through SwiftPM.

PS:
I have also tried installing different versions of RealmStudio - it didn’t help. When I delete the default.realm.lock file, RealmStudio opens, but the data is not updated live.

@Dan_Vitalievich and @Jon_Bones_Jones

Yep. I just created a fresh project and duplicated the issue.

It appears the original Git #8057 was closed so I created a new Git #8206

This appears to have been resolved with Realm Studio release 14 - ensuring both the SDK and Studio are all updated to the most current versions so they all have the same format.