Realm cache when added with SPM in CircleCI

Hi,
Our project is pretty large so I’m trying to optimise the build steps.
I’m seeing that if Realm is added into the project as a SPM dependency the build time increases with at least 3 minutes in CircleCI over importing the framework as a .xcframework file.
I’ve implemented the caching strategy as explained here: Swift Package Manager(SPM) And How To Cache It With CI | by Volodymyr Bondar | Uptech | Medium
Can you please let me know if I am missing something, or is this a normal behaviour ?

Are you saying it increased by 3 minutes AFTER you implemented a caching strategy?

There are a LOT of reasons the time could have increased so it’s going to be hard to say - are they located in the project directory? Are they located a folder somewhere else? Did you set up the CI Config file? There are lots of variables that could slow down the process - if that’s the question.

Hi @Jay,
Thanks for your reply.

I’ll try to give you a few more details about the problem. In the meantime I’ve created a basic project with a single ViewController and just realm added as dependency. I’ve attached a screenshot from circleci with the following info:

My .circleci/config.yml looks like this:

steps:
    - checkout
    - restore_cache: 
        key: spm-cache-{{ checksum "TestCircleci/TestCircleci.xcodeproj/project.xcworkspace/xcshareddata/swiftpm/Package.resolved" }}
    - run: bundle check || bundle install --path vendor/bundle
    - run:
        name: fastlane
        command: bundle exec fastlane build_beta
    - save_cache:
        paths:
          - SourcePackages/
        key: spm-cache-{{ checksum "TestCircleci/TestCircleci.xcodeproj/project.xcworkspace/xcshareddata/swiftpm/Package.resolved" }}

And fastlane/Fastfile looks like this:

lane :build_beta do |options|
    build_app(
      project: "TestCircleci/TestCircleci.xcodeproj",
      clean: false,
      cloned_source_packages_path: "SourcePackages"
    )
  end

@Mihai_Dumitrache

For clarity…

You’ve got an XCode 13 Project (not Xcode Cloud), Swift, with a single view, using SPM and the project takes either 7 minutes to build or 13 minutes to build?

As in… you’re looking at your code, press Command-B and it’s done compiling 7 minutes later?

If so, I would like to insert a head exploding emojii here :exploding_head: as it would make my head explode waiting that long in between builds - that would indicate you’ve got something else going on…

If that’s not the case, please advise.

These times are from building the app in a CI environment where the project needs to be cloned + compiled from the start.
Locally you’ll have DerivedData that will speed up the compile process for next builds.

I am prepared to share with you the CircleCI compile logs but I’m not allowed to add attachments here.
I’ve uploaded it here in the meantime: file

@Mihai_Dumitrache

I don’t have first hand experience with CircleCI but with the number of reports of projects timing out during builds (non-Realm ones) or having long build times, it seems the issue is common.

One suggestion was to throw more CircleCI resources at it (Ram & CPU) by upgrading to a different tier and then a second option was parallelism to split the project build among multiple resources - some reports indicate it improves testing and build times.

In a nutshell, while your are using Realm, there are a lot of others that are not and they are having a similar issue with crazy long build times.

If nobody else here can help with that, it may be a good idea to open a support ticket for guidance - perhaps there’s an (another) issue with SPM (I am not an SPM fan at this time)

https://support.circleci.com/hc/en-us/requests/new