Python: Paging: Did not receive the proper response when paging by text

What is going on? How does a student debug when http://localhost:5000/status errors like that?

After some testing i could repeatably pass and fail the status page tests, after finding weird logic in the code and fixing it.
Original

# total_num_movies = 0
    # if page == 0:
    #     total_num_movies = db.movies.count_documents(query)

My fix
total_num_movies = db.movies.count_documents(query)
My fix is to not make it conditional. Why must it be conditional on page? Physically, total_num_movies implies number of documents in query result, and should have nothing to do with which page the user is querying.

Why test_paging.py doesn’t catch the error
assert results0 (returned from total_num_movies) was only written for page 0 cases. For other non page 0 tests, it wasn’t asserted, so tests pass

Why are the files in a zip instead of on github where everyone can fix things like these?

Also, why does this test have 2 acceptable titles in the last assert?
Shouldn’t the output be deterministic, given a certain set of data, and a certain page, page 15’s first result should only be one of the 2 titles?
Querying it direct through the url using http://localhost:5000/api/v1/movies/search?text=bank%20robbery&page=23 i get Operation 'Y' & Other Shurik's Adventures, so why is Skippy included in the assert too?

def test_supports_paging_by_text(client):
    filter = {"text": "bank robbery"}
    (movies0, results0) = get_movies(filter, 0, 20)
    assert len(list(movies0)) == 20
    assert results0 == 475
    assert movies0[0].get("title") == "The Bank"
    last_page = int(475 / 20)
    (movies2, results2) = get_movies(filter, last_page, 20)
    assert len(list(movies2)) == 15
    assert (
        movies2[0].get("title") == "Skippy"
        or movies2[0].get("title") == "Operation 'Y' & Other Shurik's Adventures"
    )

Hey @Han_N_A,

Thanks for pointing this out and for suggesting fixes. We’ll surely take a look at the issues and your suggestions. :smile:

Please feel free to reach out for anything else as well.

Regards,
Satyam

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.