Outdated content for M312

Hi there,

I’m currently going through M312 to prepare for my DBA Exam.
Unfortunately, whole lessons are completely outdated. Especially the videos using Mtools to analyze the logs cannot be played along locally with current installations of MongoDB, since Mtools do not support the current log format, which has been the standard (and only available option) for quite some time now.
Are these tasks going to be relevant in the exam? If so, what resources can you recommend for this type of work?
Since debugging is IMHO a fairly important task in the life of a DBA, are there any plans to revise M312? Judging on some of the content that’s shown in the videos, the course was recorded in 2014, which is ages ago.

Best regards
Max

Hey @MaxR,

Thanks for flagging this.

The University team is aware that the contents of the course are outdated. We assure you, they are working hard on creating and testing new content that will be relevant to the DBAs.

Feel free to reach out for anything else as well.

Regards,
Satyam

1 Like

Thanks! Looking forward to it :slight_smile:

Hi @Satyam

Thanks for your answer!

Are the outdated contents relevant for the DBA exam? What resources do you recommend for learning these topics?

Best regards
Max

Hello @MaxR

at least when I did the DBA exam there was no question about mtools, however this is no guarantee.
In case you want to analyse the new log format have a look at hatchet and keyhole.
I am pretty sure that this is not content for the DBA exam :wink: but very handy when it come to the point to get the hands dirty. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Michael

1 Like