Modifications to the Mflix Setup Page

Hello,

So one thing related to this ReadMe setting up Mflix page: -

1. Would it be possible that we add to the notes along with installing Node, that Python 2.7+ is installed prior to running the npm install.

It just avoid people, like myself who tend not to have everything but the kitchen sink installed, to make sure that the relevant Python version installed.

Especially if the person is moving towards a containerized development working environment.

These steps all help to making the initial setup that little bit smoother.

Hi NeilM,

Can you please elaborate more on this? I am not really sure about the fact that it is mandatory to install Python before npm install.

Thanks and Regards.
Sourabh Bagrecha,
Curriculum Services Engineer

Hello @SourabhBagrecha

Prior to installing Python 2.7 on my PC, I was getting the following error.

However, as a side note, I hadn’t created my .env at that time.

Separate, related?

Hi @NeilM, I am still not sure how this error is related to Python.
I don’t have much expertise in python, but the error message doesn’t mention “Python”. Let me know if I am missing something here.
Having said that, it looks like the issue is somehow related to a malformed URI string in .env file, which in your case wasn’t available before.

So, in terms of instructions, I think they are complete, you just need to follow them till the end, before starting the server.

In case you have any doubts, please feel free to reach out to us.

Thanks and Regards.
Sourabh Bagrecha,

@SourabhBagrecha

Sorry, you needed to follow the link.

Hi @NeilM, oops, I missed the Python part in the error, sorry about that.
I guess it is somewhat related to making sure that you have all the required software to run node-gyp. More details on this can be found in this StackOverflow thread:

In case you have any doubts, please feel free to reach out to us.

Thanks and Regards.
Sourabh Bagrecha,

Thank you @SourabhBagrecha

As the link you provided says, there is a need for python to be installed. So if we can have that added to the instructions for the mflix setup, so that those students which don’t have python installed, can get it installed prior to hitting that particular issue.

Nowadays with people running dev environments in docker and VMs, to reduce clutter/outlier issues, they may not have python installed by default.