Lambda connectivity to Atlas Serverless using IAM role confusion

Hi

Problem Statement

I am currently attempting to establish a connection with MongoDB using the IAM Role as described here -https://www.mongodb.com/docs/atlas/security/passwordless-authentication/ . The problem statement is that I am unsure of the process required to ensure the connection works from an AWS perspective using Lambda.

Background info

I’ve created an IAM Role using AWS SAM.

MongoDBReadWriteAccess:
    Type: AWS::IAM::Role
    Properties:
      RoleName: MongoDBReadWriteAccess
      AssumeRolePolicyDocument:
        Version: '2012-10-17'
        Statement:
          - Effect: Allow
            Principal:
              AWS: arn:aws:iam::<atlast aws account ID>:root
            Action: sts:AssumeRole
            Condition:
              StringEquals:
                sts:ExternalId: <external ID>

I attempt to retrieve the keys from the env variables in my application logic

aws_access_key_id = os.getenv("AWS_ACCESS_KEY_ID")
 aws_secret_access_key = os.getenv("AWS_SECRET_ACCESS_KEY")
 aws_session_token = os.getenv("AWS_SESSION_TOKEN")

I create the connection

url_connection = f"mongodb+srv://{access_key_URI}:{secret_key_URI}@{server_name}.ozmat.mongodb.net/?authSource=%24external&authMechanism=MONGODB-AWS&retryWrites=true&w=majority&authMechanismProperties=AWS_SESSION_TOKEN:{session_token_URI}"

However the role that I created isn’t the assumed role at execution time.

OperationFailure: bad auth : user arn:aws:sts::<id>:assumed-role/<incorrect_role_name>/* is not found, full error: {'ok': 0, 'errmsg': 'bad auth : user arn:aws:sts::<id>:assumed-role/<incorrect_role_name> is not found', 'code': 8000, 'codeName': 'AtlasError'}
                             	Traceback (most recent call last):

I’ve attempted to assign the role using SAM

StepPlanCRUD:
    Type: AWS::Serverless::Function # More info about Function Resource: https://github.com/awslabs/serverless-application-model/blob/master/versions/2016-10-31.md#awsserverlessfunction
    Properties:
      PackageType: Image
      Architectures:
        - x86_64
      Role: !GetAtt MongoDBReadWriteAccess.Arn

but I get the following error on deploy:

"The role defined for the function cannot be assumed by Lambda. (Service: Lambda, Status Code: 400, ...       

Please can somebody detail the steps required in order to allow connectivity between Lambda and Atlas from an AWS perspective?

1 Like