Lab: Configuration File - 'Run Test' Fail

Getting this lab to work correctly has me stumped enough to finally hit up the forums for help. No matter what I try I only pass 1 of 3 conditions to complete the lab. The conf file contains the following…

net:
   port: 27000
security:
   authorization: enabled

It connects on port 27000 and the console output of the connection shows authorization as enabled. Here are the results when I ‘Run Test’:

3 total, 1 passed, 0 skipped:
[PASS] “The server is running on localhost:27000”
[FAIL] “The server requires authentication”

Don’t forget to launch mongod with authentication enabled!
You can do this using the configuration file.

[FAIL] “Mongod was started with a configuration file”

Did you launch mongod using a configuration file?

The configuration file is being used because the connection is on port 27000. I’m not sure why the fails?

Share the command you used to start mongod?

If I am not mistaken, you have to create a user for this lab.

mongod -f mongod.conf

That is correct - a user must be created. This is where I am getting confused. Instructions say a new window must be opened once the mongod command is issued. Does that mean anew browser window so we can use a second browser based IDE to create the user?

Extract from the lab:

1. Once mongod is running, open a new Terminal window and use the following command to create an admin user. You will need to create this user in order to validate your work

A new terminal, I think it is a little + sign.

Do I launch MondoBD command line interface and add the new user there? The instructions are not clear.

OMG - the tiny plus button. LOL. I missed that. I issued the add user command in the new window and the lab passed all 3 conditions. Thank you for the help through this. Kind of an idiotic oversight on my part but I do now have a THOROUGH understanding of the web IDE, the windows SHELL and Compass.

1 Like

The IDE controls a virtual machine where all the required components are installed.

Before, you had to install the software on your machine or on a virtual machine that you control in order to follow the course. With the IDE the non-MongoDB oriented administration stuff is not a hurdle anymore.

1 Like