Lab 1.1 do i need to make a new atlas cluster and delete my old one from m001

so. i have a sandbox cluster started under the enterprise version of mongo atlas that i created as a part of m001, from that i already have mongo db installed here and a sandbox cluster that i made as part of the course work. the lab it asks me to create a stand alone server and am feeling kind of confused i figured out from other forum posts that i dont need to make a daemon process and that i just need to make a server that is preferable from the enterprise edition. the problem im running into is that i think i need to delete that cluster from m001 and just make a new one for this course through atlas. really im just asking if thats a reasonable move to delete my old sandbox cluster and make a new one for this course, or if i even need to be considering this. the wording for this lab is confusing me a little because of the lack of detail

sorry for any confusion i’ve caused.
thanks in advance

Atlas (which is where you created the Sandbox cluster) and a Standalone server are two different things. You don’t need Atlas for this course. You need a running MongoDB instance hosted on your local machine as a Standalone server.

1. Check whether you have MongoDB installed by running:
    mongod --version

2. If it says something along the lines of “command not found” then double check your installed programs to see if MongoDB is installed

3. If it’s definitely not installed, download and install it using the installation link in the course instructions:

The wording seems alright to me.

1 Like

so the output for the version is this

db version v3.6.17
git version: 3d6953c361213c5bfab23e51ab274ce592edafe6
OpenSSL version: OpenSSL 1.0.1f 6 Jan 2014
allocator: tcmalloc
modules: enterprise
build environment:
distmod: ubuntu1404
distarch: x86_64
target_arch: x86_64

You have an older version installed but it’s sufficient for this course. You don’t need to install MongoDB.

Start it up (with default options):
mongod

Connect to it:
mongo

It’s a good idea to take the M103 Basic Cluster Admin course prior to this course.

i did take the course but i was just having trouble understanding that it wanted me to make a daemon process is all thank you for the explanation

I see! Good luck!

By the way, it’s up to you whether you want mongod to run as a daemon or not. But it’s not a course requirement.