I have installed MongoDB Community to use a local IDE. How do I open that IDE?

Hello. I have installed MongoDB Community so I can take advantage of using that IDE there, rather than the browser based IDE. I have installed it, but how do I bring up the IDE?

i also dont able to connect atlas cluster, if you do then please tell me .
i have tried several times ,but couldn’t able to do it . may be some problem to connection string

You have to use IDE the browser based interface from the link provided at the end of each chapter
If you have installed Mongodb then you can use mongo shell also to connect to your cluster
Make sure you have mongo shell is available on your PC as it is not packaged with latest Mongodb server
You have to download and install it separately

i have installed . now what should I have to do?

Cd to your Mongodb/bin
Check if mongo/mongosh.exe exists or not
If it exists simply issue mongosh from command prompt of your os
From your Atlas account you can get your cluster connect string.Use it to connect from command prompt as below
mongosh “your connect string”

You are supposed to use IDE for this course

i got the cluster connect string but I cant able to connect it to the mongosh

MongoshInvalidInputError: [COMMON-10001] Invalid URI: --------------

this msg came after putting connection string

Show us a screenshot
Is the error from IDE or local shell?

Thanks Ramachandra. Issuing mongosh from the command prompt is what I needed to open the shell. I was wanting to use that to practice with for added space, rather than the browser IDE. At the end of Chapter 2 in the “Your Chapter 2 IDE space”, it says “if you want to install MongoDB on your computer and use it locally instead of using this IDE environment…”. I thought that meant I can use mongosh to interact with the Atlas database? When I try to connect, though, I get this error
SyntaxError: Missing semicolon. (1:7)
mongosh^mongo “connectionString” --username username. It is simply spitting back my entry but with that caret. The initial command line, however, starts with ‘test>’. (?)
I see where you stated that the browser IDE has to be used, but I am just wanting to be sure because Chapter 2 seems to imply differently. Your thoughts, please.

I understood you.Yes you can use locally installed shell for practising in your own environment

The syntax error you got is most likely due to the fact that you are trying to connect from mongo prompt
When you just run mongosh it will connect to your local mongod and your prompt will be like >
Just exit from it and run it from your os prompt like #,$,c: etc as per your os
Hope it is clear to you
Keep experimenting you will get to learn the tricks in no time

should i paste connecton string to the ide ? i have tried it by opening only Mongosh but it didn’t work :frowning_face:

’ M220P: MongoDB for Python Developers ’ i have completed this course , but I cant able to get certificate?

i have tried to go the completed course this course isn’t came in the course list.
progress of the course is 100%

Mongo and mongosh are different shells
Mongosh is the latest shell
Try with mongosh

I opened up a ‘bash’ shell in VS Code (because it starts a line with a ‘$’. I am connecting just fine from there

Ok I will try once by doing that

i have tried but i didnt get that through also.

Please show a screenshot of what you have tried with mongosh
What error are you getting
Share your connect string with credentials.You can change pwd later or create a test user and share creds

Hi all

you don’t seem to have a solid understanding yet and from your dialogs, I deduce you are not much good at terminal commands either. So here is a few things you need to be aware of from now on (it is a bit long so hang on):

1- M001 and a few other courses use “Web IDE” for a while to grade you, so you have to use it in those lecture sessions. The thing is you need to use the command line tool, mongo/mongosh, to do the things you need.

• you don’t “bring up” Web IDE for your local installation unless you have a full setup that all required ports are open to the outside world and your local machine is accessible from everywhere. please, skip that thought and use Atlas for this purpose until you are free from Web IDE’s validation mechanics.

2- At some point, you are asked to use “MongoDB Atlas” (local installation at item 3). You have 3 ways to work with Atlas:

• Use Atlas web “interface”; you will have most tools available in the next methods. it is a direct connection to your Atlas cluster. You don’t need any tool to install to work with it.
  • Use MongoDB Compass. this one is the graphical tool to connect and do almost everything with your data in any server.
  • Use mongo shell: mongo is the old one while mongosh is the new improved command to use in the terminal. you are bound to write everything by hand, but faster if you know what you are doing. again you can connect to any server as long as they are accessible.

3- You download and install the MongoDB server on your machine. You will have a single instance running in your localhost:27017. If you want multi-server configuration, there are other courses for that too (M103,M150).

Now let me go into a little more detail.

• your first work with Web IDE wants you to use mongo shell to connect to your Atlas cluster, not your local instance. it is mandatory to be graded when it says so, else you can use any method above.
  • You don’t need anything installed on your machine except a modern browser. Just browse your Atlas cluster’s page and do your queries there.
  • using toolas, a common mistake is a copy/paste one: use either mongo or mongosh. Atlas interface gives you a command line with mongo in it. Use it directly. Be careful not to write mongosh mongo mongo+srv:....
  • if you use local installation, just run mongo server then use mongo or mongosh without any parameters. it will connect to your local directly.
    • open a terminal and run your server: /path/to/server/files/mongod (read documentation for customization). if it is in PATH, just use mongod. this will start server with default settings. it will give error if a data folder is not yet created.
    • open another terminal and run mongo shell: /path/to/mongotools/mongosh. if it is in PATH, just use mongosh
    • when you finish your work, exit the mongo shell and stop the server.
  • to complete the course in your local, you need to download test data. I don’t have a direct link so read documentation or use export/import methods.

And as for getting your certificate: You need to pass/fail every graded assignment, then you will have a new link available to your certification. If you still have an ungraded one left, the link will not activate.