How to use the harddisk (ebs) snapshot to create a new replicaset

I have an repliaset (RS-A) of 3 nodes each has 1T data, and the oplog for the cluster is about one day.

• Can I shutdown the whole cluster for 29 days, and open it up, as it’s far more beyong the oplog window, will the RS be running healthy after 29 days?

• I tried to use the ebs snapshot of RS-A, node-A1 (29 days ago) to create another RS-B and node B1, B2, B3. When i am trying to startup the first mongod process on B1 (with the replSetName in conf file updated), seems the process cannot started successfully, the 4th node is still try to join the RS-A, instead of working as the first node of RS-B. Is it feasible to do it as stated here?

Thanks and regards
Mac

Can I shutdown the whole cluster for 29 days, and open it up, as it’s far more beyong the oplog window, will the RS be running healthy after 29 days?
  • yes, you can shut down the whole cluster and start it later - there will be no writes to the primary, oplog will not be used
I tried to use the ebs snapshot of RS-A, node-A1 (29 days ago) to create another RS-B and node B1, B2, B3. When i am trying to startup the first mongod process on B1 (with the replSetName in conf file updated), seems the process cannot started successfully, the 4th node is still try to join the RS-A, instead of working as the first node of RS-B. Is it feasible to do it as stated here?

I think at the beginning you should start mongod as a standalone and drop the local database (replica set config from RS-A will be there) if it exists in the backup. please follow MongoDB documentation
Restore a Replica Set

2 Likes