How to load M121 databases to atlas

Hi, I just started with M121 after completing M001. In M001, I was able to use atlas to work with the sample databases.

Now I’ve completed M001 and would like to load all the M121 databases as I did in M001, in M001 atlas GUI, there is a link ‘load sample dataset’. I could not figure out how to get access to M121 data sets.

I was about to use the IDE and command term to connect to M121 services:
cluster0-shard-00-01-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017

I think I’d need some help to connect to the about cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017 within atlas web GUI interface.

I hope I’ve made my point clear, but please let me know if you’d need more info from me.

Thanks,

Bruce

You do not load the M121 data set into any cluster.

You use the shared M121 class cluster that is already loaded with the appropriate data.

To connect simply cut-n-paste the URI supplied into lecture notes.

1 Like

Hi, Steeve: Thanks for the quick reply. I’m not sure I follow “To connect simply cut-n-paste the URI supplied into lecture notes.”, what is “lecture notes”?

Also, I just downloaded mongodb compass, I think if atlas is not an option, I can at least connect m121 cluster using compass. However, I could not connect to it using SSL tunneling, since there’s a need of password, I used the user name m121. Please help if you can, I do like to use the nice GUI to explore the m121 databases instead of typing into the command term.

Kind regards,

Bruce

Yes you can use Compass.

The lecture notes are at the same place where you found:

Actually, the above is part of the connection string.

It is in Chapter 0, Lecture: Atlas Requirement, right below the video you will see Lecture notes. The connection string is the string within double quotes.

That is correct. The password is aggregations.

Hi, Steeve:

For the compass part, I put user/passwd ‘m121/ aggregations’, but the connection timed out. I suspect it has something to do with our company connection policy etc.

For the ‘lecture notes’ part, yes, I can find the connection string in Cahper0, lecture. But I’m not sure where to paste the connection string to. What I did is that I went to M001 site, at each chapter, there’s an IDE link, where I click and paste the connection string. I guess there is another place to paste it in, please guide me.

Thanks for your prompt help, I appreciate it very much!

Bruce

Actually, I think this is what’s going on. In M121, I think the instructor assumes the students will download mongodb enterprise by themselves (onto their own OSs), and in their own environment connecting to atlas cluster, is this right?

I asked the original question with the mind set from M001, where the mind set is that students don’t need to do any installation whatsoever, all IDEs are provided right within the course, like IDEs, atlas DBs, everything can be done from within a web browser.

I’ve downloaded mongodb for ubuntu and ubuntu installed the deb package automatically, I ran into another issue, I can not find where the mongodb is installed in my ubuntu, please give me a hint where the default deb-installation is, I did find a newly created dir /var/lib/mongodb/, but could not find the ‘bin’ dir yet. Once I get that, I’ll try the connection again.

Thanks,

Bruce

Okay, after installing mongodb enterprise onto my ubuntu, also installed mongodb client, then run
mongo “mongodb://cluster0-shard-00-00-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017,cluster0-shard-00-01-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017,cluster0-shard-00-02-jxeqq.mongodb.net:27017/aggregations?replicaSet=Cluster0-shard-0” --authenticationDatabase admin --ssl -u m121 -p aggregations --norc
MongoDB shell version v3.6.3
cSetMonitor-TaskExecutor-0] Failed to connect to 52.4.238.74:27017 after 5000ms milliseconds, giving up.

So, the only way I could connect to the atlas cluster is still by following the IDE link given in M001. …!!!

Most likely you are not able to make outgoing connection to port 27017.

Share a screenpost of the trying to access http://portquiz.net:27017

Looks like I can by clicking on http://portquiz.net:27017 I got connection:

Outgoing port tester

This server listens on all TCP ports, allowing you to test any outbound TCP port.

You have reached this page on port 27017 .

Your network allows you to use this port. (Assuming that your network is not doing advanced traffic filtering.)

Nice. One thing out of the way. Please post a screenshot of the command

I ask, because that command works perfectly fine over here. May be it was a temporary issue that is now resolve.