GraphQL API > Function (add data from 3rd party API to collection)

Hello… newbie here and super excited about MongoDB, a whole world of opportunities opened up… :slight_smile:

I hope you guys can help me out as I am struggling to do the following.

With GraphQL API and the Function (Fucntion Editor) did I understand how to call data from 3rd party API to add to my endpoint. The endpoint already has data from my MongoDB collection. What I aim to achieve is to have the data from the 3rd party API to be added to my collection so I can define “relationships” and do other things with the 3rd party API data in my MongoDB. How would I go about doing that?

Thanks a lot for your help.

To add data from a third-party API to your MongoDB collection using a GraphQL API and Function Editor, you can follow these general steps:

Set up your GraphQL API: Ensure that you have a GraphQL API in place, which serves as the endpoint for your application.

Create a Function in the Function Editor: In your GraphQL API provider’s Function Editor or serverless function environment, create a new function. This function will be responsible for fetching data from the third-party API and adding it to your MongoDB collection.

Integrate the third-party API: In your function, use appropriate HTTP libraries or tools to make a request to the third-party API and retrieve the desired data. You may need to provide any required authentication tokens or API keys to access the data.

Parse and transform the data: Once you receive the data from the third-party API, parse and transform it as needed to match the structure and format of your MongoDB collection. This step ensures that the data can be properly stored in your existing collection.

Connect to your MongoDB: Establish a connection to your MongoDB database from within your function. You’ll need to provide the necessary credentials and connection details to access your collection.

Add the data to your collection: Using the MongoDB connection, insert or update the data retrieved from the third-party API into your MongoDB collection. You can use appropriate MongoDB driver libraries or tools to perform the database operations.

Handle relationships and other actions: Once the data is added to your MongoDB collection, you can define relationships between this data and your existing data. Depending on your schema design and requirements, you might update existing documents, create new documents, or link related data through references or embedding.

Test and deploy: Test your function locally to ensure it functions correctly. Once you are satisfied, deploy your function to your serverless environment so that it can be invoked by your GraphQL API whenever required.

It’s worth noting that the specific implementation details may vary depending on your chosen GraphQL API provider, programming language, and libraries/tools you are using. Refer to the documentation of your GraphQL API provider and the tools you’re working with for more specific instructions on setting up functions and integrating with MongoDB.