Freeze and release data from a collection and preserve _id field

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding data modeling and I hope this is the right place to ask.

So the problem I’m having is, that I have a collection with data, that is a graph. The graph can be resolved using fields like children: [ObjectId, ...] and parent: ObjectId where as the ObjectIds are the _id field of the data itself.

Now I want to create “releases” of this data at a certain point in time, much like using git tag and currently I came up with the following solutions:

1. Copy the data in a new collection e.g. “release_2021-08-26”
  2. Copy the data in a new collection for releases and add a field indicating the release date

The problem I have with the first Solution is, that I would create many collections and would need the application to query all collection names and deduct which releases exist or would need another collection where I store where in which collection the release would be found. What I like about this solution is, that I would not need to mess with the ObjectId field _id which is used for the mentioned relation ship between the nodes. Also I could re-use all the aggregations I already have and would just need to interchange the collection that is worked on.

The second solution has the problem, that as soon as I would create a second “release” I would get duplicate entries on the _id field. But I can not change the _id since this means I would need to update all data as well, which is doable, but nothing I’d like to do.
I thought about using a compound Id of {ObjectId, Date} but this means the connection fields children and parent now are not usable anymore

Also with the second solution I thought about using views the retransform the data, especially the _id field, to its original form, but there seems to be no possibility to use any parameters on views to just select a certain release dataset.

Is there any other way to release and freeze data? It would be nice to preserve the unique identifier of the object.

Thanks you

Why do you need new documents for a new release? Why not just add another date into an existing document (i.e. have an array of dates indicating releases or some other tags)?

Because the requirement is, that the application has to have a historical correct dataset at the time of releasing it. Just a date does not cut it in terms of preserving the original document at the time. Hence why I compared it to git tag

Also since development time is not infinite I wouldn’t want to change the data structure anymore