Email is case-sensitive? I can register 2 accounts with one email!

I can register different accounts using one email. For each account I just change the case of some letters in email. How is that possible? Is that a bug?

In my opinion, they should be case insensitive, but the Realm UI and the SDKs I’ve seen are consistent with what you’re seeing.

The simple workaround is for your client app to convert any username to lowercase (uppercase letters in an email address don’t really make any sese.

I found something new on this topic. Now I can register an Email/Password user WITHOUT an valid email. So how can I send the confirmation later?
Please check again.

This is a behavior that I find useful as I bend the intent by considering it username/password rather than email/password. That way users can register a username that isn’t an email address (especially useful while in development as it saves typing). If you do allow non-email addresses then you have to select a confirmation method other than “Send a confirmation email”.

If you do want to enforce that the username is an email address then you can validate it in your frontend app before registering the user.

Well, it’s weird to allow a non-email to register with “Email/Password Provider”. It would make more senses when we have “Username/Password Provider” for that kind of users.

That way users can register a username that isn’t an email address (especially useful while in development as it saves typing).

I will never do that as it’s kind of unofficially and there is no document saying I can do that.

So I would love to have “Username/Password Provider” for user management.

1 Like

Those are valid points. @Sumedha_Mehta1 something to consider - should we separate email/password and username/password providers with the first one being a more restricted version of the latter? I can easily see how the case sensitivity of emails may result in unintended behavior - e.g. if the entry in the login screen where the user inputs their email has autocapitalization turned on, they may receive confusing login failures or create multiple accounts for the same email address.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.