Connection to Atlas issue

I’m unable to connect to Atlas. I get the following message:

AuthenticationFailed means you are using the wrong user name and/or password.

1 Like

Thanks Steeve
I’m entering what I think is the correct password. As a beginner with Mongodb and Atlas, I don’t know what else to try.

For this course, you are supposed to create the user m001-student with the password m001-mongodb-basics.

Share the connection string you are using.

This is the string which is shown in the ‘Connect to Sandbox’ window. It does say to replace ‘myFirstDatabase’ with the name of the default database, but I don’t know what the database is called.

mongo “mongodb+srv://sandbox.xpony.mongodb.net/myFirstDatabase” --username m001

As I wrote, for this course, you are supposed

And you are supposed to connect with this user. You are trying to connect with user m001. Most likely you did not copy-pasted the complete command.

Hi @David_Gray, welcome to the community, as we will be working with several different databases from the same cluster in this course, you can replace the name from “myFirstDatabase” with “admin”, hence your connection string would look something like this: "mongodb+srv://sandbox.xpony.mongodb.net/admin".

In case, you have any doubts please feel free to reach out to us.

Thanks. Regards.
Sourabh Bagrecha,
Curriculum Services Engineer

Hi Sourabh
Thank you for your welcome, and for your assistance. Unfortunately, it did not work. This is the response:

Regards
David

No, it did work. You are connected to the cluster. However, to pass the quiz and lab for M001 you are supposed to use the IDE.

Hi @David_Gray, as you can see that in your screenshot, the Mongo Shell has been instantiated and now your commands will be executed through the Mongo Shell instead of your command prompt directly.
Also, please note that your Command Prompt previously had the following directory name before you enter you enter your command:

PS C:\Users\daveg>

which is now changed to:

MongoDB Enterprise atlas-epr838-shard-0: PRIMARY>

which implies that your Mongo Shell is connected to your cluster.

In case, you have any doubts please feel free to reach out to us.

Thanks. Regards.
Sourabh Bagrecha,

1 Like

Hi Sourabh, and Steeve,

thank you both for your help. But when I enter the same string into the IDE, I’m told it’s incorrect. But it says “Successfully connected to the Atlas Cluster”. I’m confused

Post a screenshot of the command you entered. Make sure we see the whole IDE.

Revise the lesson where the IDE is presented. You entered the command in the wrong area. You have to enter the command in a terminal area.

Thanks again Steve
I somehow missed the lesson on using the IDE. Everything is now OK.

Where is terminal? Where is IDE? I am not following from Atlas user-interface

Hi @Neeraj_Sinha, welcome to the community.
There is no Terminal/IDE in the Atlas UI, here we are referring to the IDE provided by the MongoDB University platform in the Lab at the end of the chapter. Please follow the instructions as explained in the lectures.

Thanks. Regards.
Sourabh Bagrecha,

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 5 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.