Chapter 1: The Mongod Server Tools Overview

Hi
I am trying to carry out the lecture instruction and stuck at this step
https://university.mongodb.com/mercury/M103/2020_March_10/chapter/Chapter_1_The_Mongod/lesson/5a974352c9d4ec11e704edd6/lecture

Tried at this step Use mongodump to get a BSON dump of a MongoDB collection:
mongodump --port 30000 --db applicationData --collection products

it gave me error
Failed: error counting applicationData.: Invalid namespace specified ‘applicationData.’

then I look at the video and follow the command as per the video

vagrant@m103:~$ mongodump --port 30000 -u “m103-admin” -p “m103-pass” --authenticationDatabase “admin” --db exampleDB --collection students
I had error message as below
2020-03-27T12:35:49.245+0000 Failed: error connecting to db server: server returned error on SASL authentication step: Authentication failed.

What is actually going wrong?

Please link your thread to a course.

What make you think that?

That’s not mentioned anywhere in the instructions.

To do the following

You need to have a server running on localhost that listens on port 30000. Do you have such a server? You also need a database named applicationData and a collection named products. That’s probably what’s wrong since you got Invalid namespace … Can you run show dbs while connected to localhost:30000?

Any reason why you changed command line arguments when you tried with root user?

The error position arguments not allowed is probably caused by the fact that you have a space between the dashes and the word collection.

The error Authentication failed means you have the wrong user name or password.

1 Like

Hi, I had just edit my question and added the link

Frankly, I am not very sure what is happening cause still very new in this course…

I have just linked your thread to the M103 course.

1 Like

Hi @teik_ning_97106,

It’s alright. You are not expected to run all the commands discussed in the video lectures. Please continue with the course and eventually things will start making sense :slight_smile: .

As an extra reading if you are interested in knowing more about the server tools then please refer our documentation.

In addition to this, if you have any specific question regarding any of the topics then please feel free to get back to us.

~ Shubham