The database market is massive (IDC estimates it to be $121B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The Drivers Documentation team is a hands-on and enthusiastic group of engineers who are passionate about teaching developers how to work with data and build applications through documentation. The team is a part of the Engineering organization and is tightly integrated with the engineering teams responsible for each product. We are hiring a Lead Technical Writer to guide the creation of world-class documentation for MongoDB's developer-focused products -- in particular, MongoDB Drivers and Connectors.
You will use your leadership skills to manage a talented team of writers, prioritize and plan documentation projects, and influence the strategic vision for the MongoDB docs. You will use your strong technical and writing skills to guide production of clear and consistent reference documentation, as well as tutorials on high-complexity features. Your team’s work, along with the three other MongoDB docs teams, support a large global community of new and experienced MongoDB users.
Candidates must have extensive experience in a documentation-focused role and 2+ years of experience managing a team of technical communicators. Beyond that, we are looking for someone who:
- Is an experienced user of great developer documentation and is excited about the idea of empowering other developers by creating it
- Is passionate about developing writing expertise on a team through reviews and mentorship
- Has experience prioritizing and planning documentation projects
- Grew a technical writing team through interviewing, hiring, and onboarding talented writers
- Possesses strong critical reading and writing skills
- Produced excellent technical documentation in accordance with industry best practices.
- Has experience with database technologies (NoSQL or RDBMS)
- Lead a technical writing team of 5
- Work cross-functionally with Engineering, Product, Design, Developer Relations, and Product Marketing to ensure the documentation meets the needs of our users.
- Foster a positive and collaborative team culture
- Develop the writing, testing, and technical skills of the team through coaching
- Contribute feedback to the team through copy review and planning discussions
- Collaborate with Engineering and Product on the team’s roadmap, then plan it in quarterly increments
- Interview and hire talented writers for all areas of the MongoDB Docs team
- Advocate for users in everything your team produces
- Produce technically accurate and well-written documentation when time permits
In 3 months
- You've met with all of your team members and are starting to learn their interests, strengths, and areas for development
- You’ve become comfortable with our toolchain and writing workflow
- You're getting to know our drivers engineers and are getting comfortable with participating in intra and inter team discussions
- You've completed any required technical and leadership training required for MongoDB Engineering
In 6 months
- You review your team’s work and are using their writing to learn more about the MongoDB data platform
- You've adapted to our style of writing and instill technical writing best practices in team members’ work
- You have worked with each team member to develop a growth plan tailored to their career goals
- You and your manager have discussed your career trajectory and growth opportunities
- You've developed a working knowledge of MongoDB and know who to follow up with when you need to learn more
In 12 months
- You're actively guiding the team to produce consistently high quality documentation for entire feature sets, complex tutorials, and high level concepts
- You know how much work your team can manage and are delivering content at a healthy pace
- You provide expert copy and technical reviews for your team members
This role can be based out of our NYC office or remotely in the North America region.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.