The database market is massive (IDC estimates it to be $121B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
We are seeking a Director of Engineering to join and lead the MongoDB Kubernetes Team. You will develop and expand the teams working on our suite of Kubernetes Operators, as well as provide a strategic engineering vision for the team. A major part of this role will be to improve the overall company strategy for Kubernetes. This is a Manager-of-Managers position.
MongoDB has Kubernetes Operators, serving different segments of the ecosystem; an Enterprise Operator for on-prem customers, an Atlas Operator, which provides an interface and bindings to the MongoDB Atlas database as a service offering, and finally a Community Operator, which is Open-Source and free to use for our Community users.
These Operators are developed by two teams, each with a Lead Engineer. The Director of Kubernetes is responsible for growing the teams, developing the existing teams and Leads, as well as providing both technical guidance and oversight of quality.
The position is available to both in-office, “flexible” and remote applicants in Western-Europe compatible timezones (including the UK). MongoDB defines “flexible” as 2-days-per-week in office, and “in-office as 3+ days per week.
Position Expectations/Role Responsibilities/What you’ll do...
- Work closely with product, design, and all of the engineers on your team to define quarterly plans for the Kubernetes Operators team, and ensure your teams have all the tools they need to execute on those plans.
- Be a close partner with the MongoDB Database Experience (Drivers) & MongoDB Core Server teams.
- Shape architecture, development practices, and escalation policies as the team and product grow.
- Career development of a talented, high-performing engineering team.
Qualifications/Requirements/We’re looking for someone with…
- 3+ years of experience leading multiple teams of Software Engineers
- Experience as a manager of managers
- Prior to being an Engineering Leader, has 5+ years of experience writing backend systems in a compiled language (Java, C#, C++, etc.)
- Experience working in the Kubernetes ecosystem
- Kubernetes internals development experience
- The ability to guide unbiased conversations about Cloud Architecture to make sure the right tool is used for the right job.
- Cares about and feels ownership over the product the team is building
- Sets team culture by example
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.