The database market is massive (IDC estimates it to be $121B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. At MongoDB we are transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
Technical Services has nearly 200 global team members in offices spanning the entire globe. The team has offices in New York City, Toronto, Austin, Palo Alto, Vancouver, Sydney, Gurgaon (India), Tel Aviv, Dublin, and Buenos Aires. Outstanding customer satisfaction is achieved utilizing a 24x7x365 ‘follow-the-sun’ support model with regional teams covering the Americas, EMEA, and APAC regions.
We have an incredible opportunity for a transformational individual to join the MongoDB Technical Services team, leading a regional team of MongoDB ‘core’ Support Engineers. Individuals in this team are experts in addressing issues related to MongoDB’s ‘core’ database functions to enable successful customer implementations at scale.
We are looking to speak to candidates who are based in Palo Alto or Vancouver for our hybrid working model.
Typical responsibilities of the team include:
- Diagnosing and resolving performance related issues
- Advising on design and architecture including global distribution and replication of data to support high availability, low latency and meeting data sovereignty requirements
- Advising on upcoming roadmap features and advocating for the customer in articulating business cases to drive issue resolution
- Globally collaborating with peer teams to provide seamless and efficient regional handovers of follow-the-sun issues
- Continuously learning and growing skills via participation in training, maintaining industry awareness and development of training to share subject matter expertise more broadly across the team
- Increasing case-deflection numbers by contributing to knowledge-base, distributing knowledge to peers and the general MongoDB community
- Working on named accounts to build rapport and an in-depth understanding of customer architecture and environment(s) while encouraging expansion of use
Our customers are the best and brightest in the business and they have great expectations of our products and our company. If you are the type of person who enjoys helping customers, managing complex, fast-moving situations and leading/managing a talented group of individuals who continuously delight our customers, then this role is for you!
- A minimum of five (5)years practical experience running a technical support team or organization, including experience coordinating high profile customer escalations, collaborating with other internal engineering departments, and working closely with sales teams.
- Strong people management skills with a track record of building and managing individuals with a strong focus on customer experience and technical excellence
- Ability to think on your feet, remain calm under pressure, and solve problems in real-time
- Ability to lead-by-example with strong diagnostic and troubleshooting skills
- Ability to understand customer business drivers and use cases
- A customer advocate who can mitigate and drive issues as appropriate
- Is comfortable engaging in hiring decisions, performance management, translating company and the organization’s goals down to team and individual levels
- Ability to articulate and calibrate communication style based on audience, from highly technical to ‘executive'
- Prior work at a database company, specifically in the NoSQL space, or a similar highly concurrent distributed system used in production architectures.
- Born-in-the-cloud SaaS experience. IaaS or PaaS highly desirable.
- Experience developing KPI’s viewable in management dashboards and scorecards using analytical tools like Tableau.
- Within 30 days
- Complete MongoDB’s new hire technical training program; be able to speak confidently about our total portfolio of products
- Be able to navigate and articulate our core products at a beginner level
- Build initial rapport with the team and gain their trust
- Within 60 days
- Understand our global follow-the-sun processes and escalation processes
- Have formed relationships with escalation managers, CSMs, sales, field and engineering stakeholders
- Have begun conducting regular 1 on1’s with staff as well as other managers within Technical Services
- Within 90 days
- Take assignment of and drive five (5) cases to closure to help learn our internal processes
- Provide a roadmap for personal growth in the role and justify the order and prioritization
- Have identified areas of efficiency for the team to scale
- Can assist with regional escalations and RCA’s when needed
- Keep leadership apprised of potentially hot issues and heads-up information related to the team
- At 120 days and onward
- Produce a roadmap and review with your manager detailing how you will scale your technical knowledge in the product commensurate with role needs
- Have an approved plan to globally drive improvement in an area of process or tooling efficiency
- Conduct three (3) face-to-face interactions with marquee customers, either in-person or virtually
- Produce growth plans for the team
- Demonstrate the understanding of the short and long term goals of the Technical Services team and how your team is working toward those objectives
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.