The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
Join the MongoDB Server Query team, and help us build a world-class distributed open source query engine. Our team plays a crucial role in the experience and performance of data processing. We are responsible for the MongoDB Query Language and the lifecycle of each query, from parsing to optimization to plan selection and finally execution. This also includes our geospatial search and update subsystems.
Our global team is growing fast, and we are looking for seasoned technical leaders as part of this expansion. In North America, we have a presence across the US and Canada including New York, the West Coast, and Toronto. We support office-based as well as remote work, and align projects with convenient work hours for each time-zone.
We have tons of interesting problems to solve with direct impact on users for transactional, time-series, and analytical workloads. As we grow, we need engineering managers to help us structure the organization, improve technical processes, provide career mentorship, guide the product roadmap, and manage projects.
This role can be based out of our San Francisco, Palo Alto, Seattle, New York City offices, or remotely in North America.
- 8+ years of experience in data management systems, preferable in query processing
- 3+ years of experience managing teams of software engineers. This includes people management responsibilities such as hiring, performance and growth management, compensation planning, and career development.
- Experience building production-level code with a large user base, robust design structure, and rigorous code quality
- Degree in Computer Science or similar field, or equivalent practical experience, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design/architecture
- Passionate about running teams, mentorship, and coaching
- Manage a team of software engineers responsible for ensuring their success, aiding their career growth, and facilitating their technical work
- Makes coding contributions to the team’s projects as needed
- Proficient in C++ or a similar programming language
- Provides feedback on the architecture of the system and the design of new features
- Ensures that the team is running smoothly by helping to eliminate technical barriers, coordinating with other teams regarding dependencies, and focusing on the overall happiness of the team
- Contributes to planning for organizational growth, including allocation of engineering resources, future hiring plans, and assignment of projects
- Sets team culture by example
- Estimates the delivery timeline for projects, and communicates well with upper management regarding project execution
- In three months, you will have learned about the team’s roadmap as well as developed relationships with your team and leaders on other teams.
- In six months, your team will be capable of running projects on its own. You will be working with product management and senior engineers to refine the team roadmap.
- In twelve months, your team has delivered key features for a major release on schedule.
This role can be based out of our US or Canadian offices or remotely in the North America region.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.