The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2024!) And MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build outstanding apps that people use every day. We are the top tier modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
Write software that powers MongoDB University, which is used by hundreds of thousands of developers around the world.
MongoDB University delivers high-quality online courses to over 800,000 students around the world. The University Platform team builds the tools that powers these courses, and we’re looking for an experienced Software Engineer to help our close knit team.
Our back end stack employs Python, Django, and MongoDB deployed on Kubernetes . Our current front end is made up of React, NextJS, CSS (Emotion), Webpack, Typescript, Storybook, and we use a combination of REST, GraphQL, React Query to marshal data between the two layers.
You are a product-focused engineer who is adept at crafting maintainable code. You work well in a team and have the expertise to get the job done while remaining respectful in your approach. You are genuinely interested in finding the best solution for users and earnestly consider differing viewpoints while leaving your ego aside.
The right candidate for this role will have
- 2+ years experience writing code in a web framework (Django, Flask, Spring Web, Express, etc)
- 2+ years experience writing code for a client-facing application (React, Angular, Bootstrap, etc)
- A desire to learn and help shape our coding practices
- Experience actively participating in constructive and respectful code reviews
- Knowledge of web best practices (security, accessibility, etc)
- The ability to write tests and provide support for the code you write
- The ability to perform complex programming tasks and make well-reasoned design decisions and tradeoffs
- Knowledge of performance profiling and web tools such as Chrome Dev Tools and Lighthouse.
- Experience with design systems
- Attention to detail and design sensibilities
These are nice to haves
- Experience with MongoDB or other NoSQL databases
- Experience with MySQL or other relational databases
- Experience with AWS, Kubernetes, or other cloud platforms
- An interest in online education
- Participate in code reviews
- Design and implement software components based on product and design requirements
- Collaborate with other engineers and product managers to deliver new features and products for MongoDB University
Within 3 months
- You’re familiar with our codebase, our development practices, our tools, and processes
- You will have contributed to at least one major project
- You’ve written tests for our backend components
Within 6 months
- Taken on a well scoped project
- Given a well defined task, you can drive it to completion independently
Within 12 months
- You’ve developed and shipped a project from concept to production
- You’ve provided guidance to other team members
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer.