The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
Design Systems is a cross-functional team dedicated to enabling world-class, cross-product experiences through design and engineering. We create resources and guidelines that developers and designers across MongoDB use to build consistent, inclusive, and memorable experiences.
We’re seeking a UI Engineer to join the Design Systems team to help continuously build our component library and positively impact the development of nearly all of MongoDB's products. You will work closely with designers and other UI Engineers to provide technical guidance, deliver accessible, robust components, and create front-end developer tooling that MongoDB uses across its products.
Our ideal candidate
- Has several years of experience building production-ready web applications
- Has a robust understanding of HTML and CSS core concepts and best practices
- Is experienced with building highly-interactive applications using React.js
- Is knowledgeable about a wide range of web and internet technologies
- Has a passion for creating resilient, scalable, and maintainable software
- Is highly detail-oriented, especially when working with design specifications
You might be an especially great fit if
- You love TypeScript as much as we do
- You’ve used MongoDB in the past
- You enjoy building complex web animations using SVGs, sprite sheets, or HTML canvas
- You were a designer in a past life
- You've worked with Next.js, or other similar frameworks
- You’ve built or designed for developer-centric products in the past
At MongoDB, you will
- Build highly-interactive React components, applying industry best-practices
- Write, maintain, test, and document new and existing React components
- Solve challenges arising from developing components used by many highly-interactive applications across MongoDB
- Collaborate with team members to develop and mature our best practices and core concepts
- Participate in peer code reviews, offering mentorship and guidance to teammates
- Stay up-to-date with modern web development best practices
- Work closely with Design Systems team members and external stakeholders to establish component behaviors, APIs, and visuals
- Help maintain our documentation site, MongoDB.design
You’ll be successful if you
- Own our core values and apply them to your work
- Show curiosity, collaborative thinking, and intellectual honesty
- Are passionate about making the web more accessible to everyone
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
Additionally, you will accomplish the following in the first 90 days
- Understand the products within MongoDB's portfolio, how they're designed, and the teams who design them
- Understand team operations by exploring our codebase and submitting your first pull request
- Complete our new hire technical training
- Build, merge, and publish at least one new component and developer documentation for it
- Work with an external team to integrate a component into their codebase
- Continue to make contributions to our codebase and submit peer code reviews
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.