The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $89B+ by 2024!) And MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build outstanding apps that people use every day. We are the top-tier modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB’s Atlas team is looking for a Senior Product Designer who is passionate about creating great, intuitive customer experiences and generating business impact. This designer should care deeply about our customers, getting them to experience core value by taking complex technical concepts and distilling them into simple user flows.
The right person for this role is someone who can identify user problems, serve as an assertive advocate for the user, create a long-term vision for expanding the current user experience, and
facilitate a user-centered product development process.
This role will be on the Atlas Product Design team embedded within the MongoDB Cloud team. The Atlas team focuses on our lead cloud database product, in 2021 Atlas’s revenue was up 83% year-over-year and is a fundamental part of MongoDB’s long-term data platform vision.
On the Atlas Product Design team, we work on everything from deploying your first cluster, scaling up your clusters, and additional developer tools: Atlas Data Lake, Search, and Online Archive.
- Data-driven. Uses qualitative and quantitative data to iterate on new designs
- Deep understanding of layout, visual hierarchy, and UX pattern best practices
- Strong visual design skills, but can deliver less than pixel-perfect mocks for discussion and ideation. Data visualization skills a plus
- Knowledge of when to use data to inform possible design solutions, but doesn’t let the data dictate all possible pathways
- Adept at designing, prototyping, testing, implementing, and evaluating user experiences of products
- Ability to elicit ideas from other team members, brainstorm with other team members, and bring the best ideas to life through simple and elegant design solutions
- Capable of crafting or implementing user research studies with research goals that directly align with product strategy.
- Articulates the design and/or product strategy trade-offs a design decision will have and what the impact will be for the user, and is able to identify opportunities to prevent those tradeoffs from happening in the first place.
- Holistic-minded, consider the entire end-to-end user journey and how their work overlaps with others.
- Has experience creating or implementing basic user research studies (interviews, surveys, usability testing).
- Has experience taking a long-term user experience vision and breaking it out into phases
- Personable. Being either introverted or extroverted is fine, but this person must be able to work with roles from all functions and strongly advocate for expressing user needs through design
- Demonstrates empathy for the users, teammates, and stakeholders
- Thrives on large, loosely defined user problems and drives the team towards understanding through discovery, resulting in user-centric scoping
- Can influence others to support user-centered design decisions enthusiastically
- Comfortable with ambiguity and continuous feedback. The Cloud team is tight-knit and collaborative, with many team members having extensive technical backgrounds
- Intellectual curiosity, always asking “how can we improve?”
- Cares deeply about the impact of their work
- Has a positive, resourceful mindset, looking for ways to get things done instead of listing all the potential blockers
- Desires to always improve self, others, and the experience our customers receive
- Demonstrates humility, as the best ideas for product design may often come from others on the team
- Firmly held beliefs are confidently expressed but can change based on new evidence
- You have a minimum of 5 years of experience in product design
- You have a portfolio that shows how you tackle problems, research and validate your solutions, and impact your work
- You’re not afraid of getting technical: No prior developer tools experience is required, but you are excited to learn about databases, developer workflows, and application development
- You’re experienced with design tools (like Figma, Sketch, Invision, etc.)
- Bonus if you’re comfortable with interaction design tools like After Effects or Principle
Did you check most of the boxes, but not all? That’s fine. There is no such thing as a “perfect candidate.” MongoDB is a place where everyone can grow and does grow. Our supportive, inclusive environment is a place where you can be your best self and safely ask others to help you get there. We just ask that you are open and honest where you might need a bit of extra support.
What makes our design team great?
- We value doing what’s best for each other, for the team, and for the customer
- We encourage open, honest, authentic communication that’s always respectful
- We use both primary research and user research to make sure our designs are based on facts vs. opinions
- We believe that good ideas come from everywhere and that we are the facilitators of great design vs. the sole creators of design
- We give each designer appropriate autonomy and ownership over their designs and encourage everyone to add their special
- “Sign-off” is more about providing guidance and helping to fill in gaps vs. command and control, dictatorial design
- We have a strong design feedback culture but are embedded in small teams with engineering and product managers
- We like to have fun
Each person that joins our team adds something unique and special, changing the team for the better. If you’re passionate about technology and this Design team sounds like one you’d like to be a part of, we’d love to hear from you!
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
[US Only] MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.