The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $106B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The MongoDB Cloud Services Team is a diverse group of contributors working together to help our users manage MongoDB at global scale. The Cloud Team is responsible for MongoDB Atlas: our database as a service offering, and fastest growing product, which allows users to deploy fault-tolerant, globally distributed MongoDB clusters in just minutes.
We're seeking a Senior Software Engineer to join our Cloud Platforms XV (“15”) Team. Cloud Platforms is a diverse group of engineering teams responsible for managing, backing up, monitoring, and visualizing customer MongoDB clusters. The Platforms XV Team is responsible for the crucial 15% of engineering time targeted for highly technical heavy-lifting jobs in the guts of the Cloud Platforms backend - specifically for optimizing performance and laying the groundwork for orders-of-magnitude scaling.
The Platforms XV Team works on a variety of projects to that end, and involves deep dives into distributed MongoDB systems (sharding, optimizing query surface area, data architecture), the MongoDB Cloud backend (a large, horizontally-scaled Java deployment), and some additional work in Go.
We're looking for someone who
- Is curious, collaborative, and intellectually honest
- Has written backend systems in a compiled language (Java, C#, Go, etc.)
- Has experience with the design and architecture of modern, scalable backend systems
- Would enjoy chasing down difficult problems in a distributed environment
- Always strives to expand their knowledge
- Collaborate with and learn from team members about best practices and core concepts
- Work closely with other Cloud engineering teams to deliver quality software
- Write preformant, multithreaded, scalable code in Java and Go
- Dive deep into the internals of large, distributed MongoDB deployments, and how to optimally collaborate with them
- Maintain a balance between delivering software, and performing research and development
- Own our core values and adhere to them in your work
A Senior Software Engineer will be successful in this role when they
- Are open, honest and willing to contribute and collaborate with others
- Build domain knowledge of our systems and use that knowledge to diagnose issues and teach others
- Develop and lead software projects that help our users maintain and understand their MongoDB deployments
- Are willing to learn and contribute to all parts of the stack
- Represent Engineering while working with Product and Design
- Solve problems with context in mind, balancing the needs of their team with the desire to get to the bottom of issues
- Mentor and guide junior engineers as they build experience
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.