The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $89B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
The Storage Team is building WiredTiger, a world-class distributed open source storage engine. WiredTiger employs modern hardware architectures and innovative software algorithms to achieve extraordinary performance for the most demanding applications. This team includes database engineering pioneers with decades of experience who are considered deep domain specialists. Due to growth, we are looking for a results-oriented individual to join our outstanding team in Sydney.
This group provides efficient data storage and scalable parallel access that is leveraged by the higher layers of the MongoDB data platform stack. We are a diverse collection of individuals - having different backgrounds, levels of domain knowledge, viewpoints and experiences - all working together to keep MongoDB storage ahead of the most challenging customer expectations.
Our projects include supporting efficient sparse data via column stores, algorithm improvements and performance optimisations, enabling additional workloads at the higher levels of MongoDB and working with our Server teams to unlock innovative and exciting new features.
If you want to join a globally distributed, inquisitive, hand-picked team of engineers who take on the challenges of a fast growing and ever demanding data storage technology, join us!
- You have strong computer science knowledge and at least 2 years of server-side C or C++ development experience. Professional or advanced academic expertise in the domains of distributed systems and databases is preferable, but not strongly required
- You are enthusiastic about designing, writing, testing, and debugging maintainable software. You strive for well thought out solutions instead of quick fixes
- You have excellent technical communication skills, which you use to collaborate with colleagues. You manage your time effectively, make realistic assessments of project complexity, and respect others who do the same
- You are friendly, sociable, and eager to establish relationships with your team members. You believe there is more provided value working as a team than in the sum of individual contributions, and that everyone is accountable for a quality product
- You are willing, able, and motivated to quickly learn new things. You are not afraid to admit you don’t know something or to ask for help
- You are curious about how people and organisations use MongoDB, and how MongoDB could be improved to enable more use cases
- Understand and improve the current functionality of WiredTiger
- Identify, design, implement, test, and support new features in MongoDB
- Work with other engineers to coordinate seamless changes in a feature-rich, large codebase
- Estimate task complexity and report progress and risks to peers and managers
- Fix code defects and work with support to diagnose and remediate customer issues
- Adapt and adhere to the team norms and the company core values
- In the first month, you will understand the high-level architecture of WiredTiger
- In three months, you will tackle code review responsibilities, and will diagnose and fix a few customer or testing-reported issues
- In six months, you will contribute to the development of a project slated for the next major release of MongoDB and participate in the design review for new features
- In twelve months, you are leading the development of a new feature and are helping to mentor new engineers on the team
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer