The Technical Program Management team is responsible for devising, implementing, and improving the processes (and associated tools) that help engineers succeed in making MongoDB the best database software possible. The Cloud Services group within MongoDB is the author of the Atlas, Atlas Search, Ops Manager, Cloud Manager and MongoDB Realm products. This position sits in the Program Management Team for Cloud Services and is responsible for wrangling time, communication, scope and effort across three major verticals: projects, team operations and releases.
As a Technical Program Manager, you will partner with the Technical Program Manager Lead in driving project planning, tracking, communication, retrospectives etc. You will also ensure that the teams you work with proceed smoothly from ideation through to release and during every step in between.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, related fields or equivalent practical experience.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude and strong analytical skills with proven results
- 3 + years industry experience as a program or engineering manager
- Technical experience to be able to understand the concepts being discussed, with the ability to facilitate discussion and flesh out the details required to enable successful delivery
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to adapt your style and delivery for a variety of audiences
The Ideal Candidate For This Role Will Be
- Experienced in managing technical projects using a variety of project management techniques
- Experienced in working with full stack development teams and the challenges therein
- Able to maintain a strategic view of our software engineering process even while executing on the minutiae of everyday development
- Skilled at communicating across a diverse set of engineers and their stakeholders (also engineers)
- Hyper-organized and capable of juggling all of the data associated with projects and task-tracking
- Knowledgeable of and experienced with implementing agile/scrum best practices
- Inspired to identify and innovate in areas where automation can replace manual work. The team works with JIRA and Google Docs so any programming proficiency with either or both tools is a plus. There are lots of opportunities to automate things.
- Driven by an attuned sense of priority and urgency
- Able to appreciate the engineering concepts being discussed, allowing them to facilitate discussion and flesh out the details required to ensure successful delivery
- Trained in working with project tracking software (e.g. JIRA, Trello etc.)
- Interested in learning everything about MongoDB
- Design and improve the processes and tools that inform the daily life of engineers
- Drive coordination between cloud teams and internal stakeholders to prioritize the team's backlog and plan its release roadmap
- Own the data around the health of each team's project and ticket backlog
- Facilitate communication with other MongoDB engineering teams to ensure the team is building what matters to our engineers most
- Recognize patterns in a sea of information and take action accordingly
- Identify risks to our releases, mitigating them where possible and communicating them where not possible
- Expand knowledge into new domains as called upon
- In 3 months you’ll have fully ramped on Cloud Services team development processes
- In 6 months you’ll have taken complete ownership of executing those processes
- In 12 months you’ll have started to identify areas for process improvement across the Engineering team
*MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.*