The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $89B+ by 2024!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
Successful candidates will have majority of the following qualities:
- Demonstrated ability in a management position
- Proven success with hiring, mentoring and growing strong software engineering teams
- Excellent verbal and written technical communication skills and desire for cross-team collaboration
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to make and evaluate realistic assessments of project complexity
- Proven success in designing, writing, testing and maintaining distributed and/or highly concurrent software systems in large, long-lived C/C++ code bases
- Minimum 5 years of experience in programming, debugging and performance tuning, and a strong grip on the foundational material of computer science. Professional or advanced academic expertise in the domains of distributed systems and databases is preferable, but not strongly required.
- Work with Product Management and senior leadership to build roadmap for the team’s deliverables
- Effectively balance team resources between building new features and previous release support and maintenance
- Mentor, grow and recruit new team members
- Balance your time between programming, designing, mentorship, and leading your team
Within 3 months:
- Provide a code contribution to MongoDB
- Know your team members’ strengths and professional objectives
- Understand and be able to explain architecture of sharding
- Provide meaningful reviews of team members’ code and designs based on your prior experience
Within 6 months:
- Lead the execution of a multi-month, multi-developer project
- Know the technical architecture of the MongoDB database system
- Own the short-term (quarterly and annual) planning process for your team
- Establish working professional relationships with other key leads and directors
- Mentor team members
- Own hiring and retention of the team
Within 12 months:
- Design a large software project in sharding
- Lead projects that are both hands-on and supervised only, concurrently
- Have a vision for the future of the Sharding component
- Have a plan to execute that vision, including planning for team growth
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer.