Build and improve the user interface for MongoDB University, which is used by hundreds of thousands of developers around the world!
MongoDB University delivers high-quality online courses to over 500,000 students around the world. The Platform Engineering team builds the tools that power these courses, and we are looking for a UI developer to help us build a great user experience.
Our front end tools include React, Typescript, and Emotion CSS-in-JS. We package and code-split using webpack, and test with Jest and Cypress. We also work with Django, MongoDB, and more.
You are a UI developer who understands that a great user experience is more than just maintainable code. Passion for great design, thoughtful code, and a user-centered experience are your primary motivators. Whether working together as a team, or tackling a project on your own, you’re always looking to learn!
The right candidate for this role will have
- A desire to learn and help shape our front end practices
- Passion for helping learners succeed through a clear and accessible UI
- An understanding of HTML semantics and why they are important
- Experience writing maintainable CSS
- Familiarity working with APIs
- Knowledge of performance profiling and associated tools
- An understanding of modern web accessibility standards
- Experience writing tests (unit, integration, and end to end test)
- Experience building and maintaining modular components
- Experience with design systems
- Excellent design sensibilities
- Experience with single page applications or client-side frameworks
These are nice to have
- Experience with React
- Experience with Node.js
- Experience with MongoDB
- Experience with Python and/or Django
- Experience with front end build tools (such as Webpack)
- Work on and improve the user interface for MongoDB University
- Collaborate with our designers, curriculum engineers, and instructors
- Advocate for usability throughout the design and development process
- Participate in code reviews
Within 3 months
- You’re familiar with the front end codebase, our development practices, our tools, and processes
- You will have contributed to at least one major project
- You’ve written tests for front end components
Within 6 months
- Given a well scoped task, you can drive it to completion independently
Within 12 months
- You’ve developed and shipped a project from concept to production
- You will have taken ownership over our major UIs and dramatically improved the UX
- You’ve provided guidance and mentorship to other team members
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.