The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
Join the MongoDB Server Query team, and help us build a world-class distributed open source query engine. Our team plays a crucial role in the experience and performance of data processing. We are responsible for the MongoDB Query Language and the lifecycle of each query, from parsing to optimization to plan selection and finally execution. This also includes our geospatial search and update subsystems.
Our global team is growing fast. n North America, we have a presence across the US and Canada including New York, the West Coast, and Toronto We support office-based and remote work, and align projects with convenient work hours for each time-zone.
We have tons of interesting problems to solve with direct impact on users for transactional, time-series and analytical workloads. The team is just setting out on a huge endeavor to rewrite the major components of our optimization and execution systems. We need your help to design and build the heart of a distributed, flexible schema, document database.
- 10+ years of experience in data management systems, including extensive experience in query processing
- Experience with building production-level code with a large user base, robust design structure and rigorous code quality
- Degree in Computer Science or similar field, or equivalent practical experience, with strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design/architecture
- Experience with large code bases written in C++ or another systems programming language. You'll need to trace down defects, estimate work complexity, and design evolution and integration strategies as we rewrite different components of the system
- Passion for the theory and practice of database query engines, as well as hands-on or academic experience in the domain
- Innovate in the area of flexible schema databases. Help us build a world-class optimization and execution system
- Research state-of-the art query systems to inform our design
- Leverage deep knowledge of the strength and weakness of the product and the industry trends to provide technical vision and direction
- Set initiative level strategy, architect plan and lead team towards successful execution
- Advise management on decisions related to roadmap, processes, architecture and design
- Identify, design, implement, test, and support new features related to query performance and robustness, query language enhancements, diagnostics, and integration with other products and tools
- Work with other engineers to coordinate seamless changes in a feature-rich, large code base
- Work with other teams including client drivers, cloud services, enterprise tools, support, consulting, education, and marketing to coordinate changes or contribute to their projects
- Influence and grow team members through active mentoring, coaching and leading by example
- In three months you’ll have contributed to the development of a project slated for the next major version, as well as fixed a few bugs in a minor version of our latest stable release series. You'll have learned about MongoDB's project lifecycle, and our long-term goals for the system
- In six months, you’ll have taken on code review responsibilities and are playing an active role in drafting and reviewing the design for new features. You have expanded the team's horizons by presenting a favorite paper or system architecture related to query systems
- In twelve months, on the basis of your extensive past experience in the query space, you have contributed to the long-term technical roadmap of the MongoDB Query team.
This role can be based out of our US or Canadian offices or remotely in the North America region.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.