The database market is massive (the IDC estimates it to be $119B+ by 2025!) and MongoDB is at the head of its disruption. The MongoDB community is transforming industries and empowering developers to build amazing apps that people use every day. We are the leading modern data platform and the first database provider to IPO in over 20 years. Join our team and be at the forefront of innovation and creativity.
MongoDB is looking for an experienced Product Design Lead to manage a hardworking, growing design team.
We’re searching for someone who will
- create simple, elegant experiences
- increase revenue, user base and activation through improved UX
- help define the future of Product Design at MongoDB
...all while bringing out the best in their team.
Our ideal candidate will be able to comprehend complex technical concepts and distill them into simple, easy-to-use solutions that improve user workflows. You should care deeply about our customers, serving as an assertive user advocate across the organization while being creative in identifying high impact ideas and testing them quickly to sway key business metrics.
You’d work closely with engineers, product managers, user researchers, and other partners to identify user goals, set design strategy, and support an evolving user-centered product development process.
Sound like a good fit? Here’s what else we’re hoping you’ll bring.
- 5+ years of experience in a Product Design or UX role
- 1+ years of experience in a growth oriented design role
- 1+ years of experience leading or managing a design team or equivalent experience mentoring junior designers
- Hiring, coaching and retaining great design talent
- Evaluating project complexity and working with product design leadership and Product Management to define roadmaps
- Understand technical concepts and manage the design of large, complex initiatives with little oversight
- Think big, and drive design team goals forward
- Data driven, using qualitative and quantitative data to iterate on new designs and generating hypothesis-driven ideas
- Creative and experimentalist, thinking outside of the box to bring new approaches to user acquisition and retention
- Deep understanding of layout, visual hierarchy and UX pattern best practices
- Leading product direction and eliciting ideas from other team members, including those that are junior
- Storytelling, with great communication skills
- Recognizing good (or not so good) design patterns and providing constructive design critique
- Partnering and negotiating with cross-functional teams across the organization
- Advocating for direct reports, representing Product Design Team goals
- Improving design process and efficiency
- Personable, able to work with roles from all functions and strongly advocate for expressing user needs through design
- Comfortable with ambiguity and continuous feedback
- Intellectually curious, always asking “how can we improve?”
- Care deeply about the impact of your work
- Positive, resourceful mindset
- Desire to improve self, others and the experience our customers receive
- Open and honest
- Demonstrates humility, as well as an ego-free and highly collaborative attitude
- Understands that great ideas for product design often come from unexpected places
- Confidently express firmly held beliefs, but willing to change based on new evidence
- Proactively provides and seeks constructive feedback
Did you check most of the boxes, but not all? That’s fine. There is no such thing as a “perfect candidate.” MongoDB is a place where everyone can -- and does -- grow. Our supportive, inclusive environment is a place where you can be your best self and safely ask others to help you get there. We just ask that you be open and honest about where you might need a bit of extra support.
What makes our design team great?
- We value doing what’s best for each other, for the team and for the customer
- We encourage open, honest, authentic communication that’s always respectful
- We use both primary research and user research to make sure our designs are based on facts vs. opinions
- We believe that good ideas come from everywhere and that we are the facilitators of great design vs. the sole creators of design
- We give each designer appropriate autonomy and ownership over their designs and encourage everyone to add their special pizzaz
- “Sign-off” is more about providing guidance and helping to fill in gaps vs. command and control, or dictatorial design
- We have a strong design feedback culture
- We are embedded on small teams with engineering and product managers
- We like to have fun
Each person who joins our team adds something unique and special, changing the team for the better. If you’re ready to bring your passion for user experience to a global technology leader, we’d love to hear from you.
To drive the personal growth and business impact of our employees, we’re committed to developing a supportive and enriching culture for everyone. From employee affinity groups, to fertility assistance and a generous parental leave policy, we value our employees’ wellbeing and want to support them along every step of their professional and personal journeys. Learn more about what it’s like to work at MongoDB, and help us make an impact on the world!
MongoDB is committed to providing any necessary accommodations for individuals with disabilities within our application and interview process. To request an accommodation due to a disability, please inform your recruiter.
MongoDB, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and makes all hiring decisions without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.