MongoDB is seeking a Workplace Manager to become the heartbeat of our newly refurbished London office and also look after a handful of our smaller EMEA sites. In a nutshell, we’re on the hunt for someone who enjoys being the go-to person of an office and is a self-confessed “jack of all trades”.
Global Workplace and Real Estate
The Workplace Team at MongoDB is responsible for managing all things to do with our offices. From day-to-day operations, health & safety, facilities, events, real estate, and employee experience, the list is endless really. Our department’s true north is removing distractions from our workspaces and ensuring our teams are happy and productive.
This is a unique and at times demanding position and it takes a certain set of skills, and an amazing individual, to really thrive. But in return, you will have the opportunity to work with and alongside employees at every level and every department virtually every day. More importantly, as we are growing so quickly, you will also have the ability to shape this role in a way that promotes your personal and professional development and sets the business up for success in the years to come.
It’s an exciting time to join MongoDB!
Skills and Attributes
So what does it take to be our next “Workplace Rockstar’’?
- You have to roll with the punches and be able to handle everything and anything that comes your way. There is no such thing as a “typical day” in our department and so you need to be able to prioritise and improvise on a whim. You also need a high degree of independent judgement. Sometimes you may make the wrong call and that’s ok - these are opportunities to learn and you should be the type of person who sees them as such.
Otherworldly Organisation & Follow-Up
- As the role of Workplace Manager is so wide and varied, it can be easy to lose track of the tasks at hand. We rely heavily on JIRA, our internal ticketing system, to help manage tasks, but keeping on top of the numerous moving pieces, and caring enough to follow-up, is what will set you apart.
- You need to be approachable, personable, and a relatable person who people feel comfortable going to for all of their needs, no matter how small. Your colleagues will be your ‘internal customers’ and so experience in a customer service role would be a definite plus.
Rock Solid Communication
- You need to be able to communicate effectively, both in text and verbally, and be confident doing so. At times you may be required to announce new activities or explain policies; you don’t need to be a pro public speaker or communications whiz, but you do need to be able to communicate in a way that is sensitive to the needs of our varied teams and also clearly explain the reasoning behind X, Y, and Z.
- You will likely be the first point of contact for many people - whether that is a potential new hire, a client, or a visiting MongoDB employee, and your demeanor helps form the oh-so critical first impressions. We want someone who has a naturally positive attitude and embraces the responsibility of being the ‘center of morale’. Everyone has their inevitable bad days, but how you handle those is the critical bit.
Creativity & Confidence
- Maintaining our intimate and personalised culture amidst rapid growth will be one of your biggest challenges. It will require you to get creative in your thinking and the way you operate. We want someone who isn’t afraid to try things we may not have tried before. As such, you also need to exude confidence. Or at least fake it until you make it! You need to be comfortable working in a fashion that earns respect, and part of that is being able to push back from time to time.
We said no two days are the same, but here are some items you would be responsible for
Workplace Management Responsibilities
- Learn. Herd Cats. Be smart. Get stuff done
- Champion an Activity-Based Work Environment, leading by example and ensuring success through constant and consistent communication and engagement with staff
- Communication of Workplace guidelines and expectations
- Ensure the office is a Great Place to Work, operated and maintained in a safe, professional, clean and cost-effective manner
- Remote management of approximately five regional EMEA offices
- Work collaboratively with the local IT team on various ad hoc projects and events
- Proactively engage with local leadership to ensure their team’s needs are being met
- Partner with HR with on-boarding new employees and building office culture
- Employee Engagement & Experience: Plan and execute company events and meetings, in addition to Workplace-sponsored initiatives (for example, Pride celebrations, Mental Health Awareness Week, Earth Day, etc.)
- Oversee vendor management for cleaning services, food service operations, and the repair and maintenance of equipment, to name a few
- Keep management informed by reviewing and analysing special reports, summarising information and identifying trends
- Maintain a purchasing database for adherence to Operating budgets
- Answer mainline phone, receive and sort mail, packages and deliveries and ensures internal customer satisfaction
- Arrange catering and oversees restocking of supplies for pantries and conference rooms
- For specifically assigned facility projects - work closely with contractors, architects, engineers and specialty consultants and monitors vendor relationships and performance
- Undertake other duties as required from time to time in line with the nature of the role
- "Office barometer," excellent emotional intelligence to interpret issues in the workplace on behalf of leadership
- No ego. You are up for anything thrown at you and you tend to stay calm in stressful situations
- 3-5 years of Workplace Management experience, degree qualified
- Experience overseeing multiple sites
- Knowledge of customer service principles and practices as well as administrative and financial controls
- Proficient user of technology as well as MS office applications
- Ability to lift up to 30lbs
- Willingness to travel to regional EMEA offices
What does success in this role look like?
- Positive feedback from your local office business leaders and stakeholders
- Quantity of service provided, quality of delivery, and the quality of change produced as a result
- Optimum office utilisation - are the teams getting the most out of our office spaces and adapting to the activity-based work environment?
- A thriving, vibrant, upbeat office culture
*MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer*