MongoDB (NASDAQ: MDB) is the leading general purpose document database to work with humongous amounts of data. As the pioneer in delivering the most popular, distributed, scalable database, MongoDB engineers are working on the cutting-edge of technology.
MongoDB Compass (https://www.mongodb.com/products/compass) is our intuitive database GUI that allows users to easily understand their data through schema and data visualization. Built as a desktop application on a modern web stack using Node.js, HTML5, CSS3, React, Rust, WASM, and Electron, we utilize the latest web technologies to deliver a unified desktop experience for Mac, Windows, and Linux. In addition to the Compass product, this team is also responsible for working on the MongoDB Shell modernization, creating tools to be used in our other browser-based products, and improving shell and command line user experience.
Our team is seeking an engineer to lead this team with a passion for visual and architectural design and solving complex engineering problems in rapid release cycles. As the lead of the Compass team, you will also have the opportunity to get to know the MongoDB Community by helping expand and enhance our plugin architecture to enable 3rd party developers to build new tooling.
You will be providing innovations that lead our industry as there are few precedents for what we do in the big-data space. Our Europe-based team is looking to now expand in Berlin and works closely with our product team based in New York City. If you are up to this challenge we would love to hear from you!
- We are a team of amiable individuals based in Berlin, Stockholm, Philadelphia and New York
- We meet in person often to collaborate (usually in Berlin!)
- Our office in Berlin is at Potsdamer Platz overlooking Tiergarten, but we often work from home
- We have flexible working hours that let us get things done and allow us to have the work-life balance we individually require
- As a team we tackle interesting and pleasantly challenging problems: everything from reengineering our build system, to writing an in-browser language-to-language compiler
- We offer competitive salary and equity (RSUs) in the company
The right candidate for this role will...
- Be an expert in at least one other language ecosystem (Rust, Go, C++, or Java experience would be optimal)
- Have experience working on a distributed team that successfully delivered multiple products/releases
- Be passionate about the products they create and hold a desire to contribute their own ideas for product features and improvements
- Demonstrate empathy, curiosity, kindness, and a drive to always learn something new
- Be an open-minded person with unwavering respect for diversity and inclusion
- Possess a good eye for building aesthetically pleasing and highly usable software
- Enjoy working with data and ideally have experience with database management systems
- Deliver complete features in an agile process with a core Europe based team, with other distributed members
- Review your team’s code and be responsible for delivering quality features on time
- Mentor junior engineers, collaborate with peers, share your knowledge
- Research solutions for challenging problems, build prototypes and proof of concepts to evaluate possible alternatives
- Occasional travel to places like New York City and London to collaborate with remote team members
Within three months: you will have
- become familiar with our code base and development process
- participated in code reviews
- contributed to the implementation of several small features and bug fixes
- forged a successful partnership with your team and peers
- delivered at least one release of our product
Within six months, you will have
- collaborated with our designers to turn design prototypes into working features
- owned and delivered features on predictable time frames
- provided guidance on technical design to extend current software and/or develop new software.
- contributed to writing scope and design documents
- actively participated in quarterly planning
Within 12 months, you will have
- listened to user feedback and feature requests
- delivered and demoed complex features
- collaborated with other teams in the company
- influenced the product roadmap
- interviewed new candidates to grow our team
- pair-programmed with and mentored junior engineers
At MongoDB, we value inclusiveness, diversity, collaboration, and intellectual honesty. Find out more about our culture and values here: https://www.mongodb.com/company#core-values
*MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer*