Help build, educate and lead a vibrant technical community. Your full-time job will be to help raise awareness of MongoDB and increase the visibility of MongoDB’s platform of products including MongoDB Atlas, Stitch, Compass, and more.
We’re a team of software developers who love teaching other developers and celebrating their success. Joining our team, you’ll also join in our mission to enable developer innovation. Our best days are spent helping developers write and deploy secure, reliable, and fault-tolerant software.
The ideal candidate for this role should have a background in engineering and software development, proficiency in Node.js, Python (and/or similar, modern frameworks and languages) and knowledge of the developer community -- either through attending events, collaborating on open source software, or supporting users online. It also helps to have proven success in helping other developers to build reliable and scalable, fault-tolerant applications. You get excited about new technologies and by the prospect of engaging with open source project maintainers and community members in person, on online forums, and on social media.
Highlights of the role
Developer Advocates are technologists first and this role will enable you to use your expertise in creative ways. This is an excellent opportunity for you to leverage your expertise and teach developers how to build apps with MongoDB. As a member of the team, you’ll have the opportunity to build and express your voice through various mediums including web-based technical articles, videos, webinars, and speaking engagements. You’ll also help design and deliver community engagement programs including hackathons, events, startup programs and more. The only limit to the role is your creativity.
As a Developer Advocate, you will be responsible for
- Educating and empowering developers who want to build applications on MongoDB through technical content, including sample applications, presentations, and blog posts
- Serving as a technical ally and partner to developers in helping them build, manage and scale their applications
- Supporting our product team and helping them build amazing software for the development community
- Connecting with developers to showcase the value of MongoDB, and relay best practices
- Building relationships with individuals and organizations who support and inspire developer communities
The primary way we measure success in this role on a monthly or quarterly basis is in the number of individuals you interact or engage with and the quality of those interactions.
- The Developer Advocate will be successful in this role when they can execute the following strategic tasks/responsibilities:
- In 3 months, you will have been trained on MongoDB and contributing educational resources (i.e. sample applications, tutorials) for the community
- In 6 months, you will have started executing Developer-facing programs, supporting community members with an amazing customer experience, and submitting talks to conferences and local user groups
- In 12 months you will have delivered multiple talks at events, contributed educational content to enable developers, and established or executed a new Developer-facing program
- BS in a technical field such as Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- Experience using MongoDB
- 2-3 years of development experience with Python, Node.js or similar development language.
- Experience building production applications with AWS services, Azure services, Google Cloud platform or other cloud services
- The ability to travel 30% of your time
“Nice to have” skills we can help you build
- History of participation in open source developer communities, through contributions or other leadership activities.
- Experience pitching, founding, supporting or advising a startup company.
- Technical writing skills demonstrated by past blogging or other written work
- Presentation skills as demonstrated by past speaking experience
- Passionate interactions with the developer community, through their networks and at events. Examples include EmpireConf, NodeConf and Node Summit, PyCon
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- A love for people, and a desire to help them achieve their wildest dreams
- Proficiency in a second programming/scripting language
*MongoDB is an equal opportunities employer*