MongoDB 3.0 is the newest and most significant release of the world’s fastest growing database. MongoDB 3.0 radically expands the use cases for MongoDB, allowing you to use it for the vast majority of all new applications. By improving performance by 7x - 10x, reducing storage needs by up to 80%, and lowering operations overhead by up to 95%, MongoDB 3.0 also dramatically improves your ability to deliver apps to market faster and more efficiently than ever before.
MongoDB White Papers
Download database management, implementation and general white papers. These free downloads cover aspects of MongoDB architecture, deployment and maintenance in a wide variety of environments.
Independent evaluators United Software Associates demonstrate that MongoDB overwhelmingly outperforms key value stores Couchbase and Cassandra. The results show that MongoDB smokes NoSQL vendors in terms of both throughput and latency across a number of configurations.
Can the choice of database really dictate business outcomes? Consider:
- A leading insurance company delivering a new application in just 3 months, after struggling for 8 years with a legacy database.
- A global telecoms operators accelerating time to market by 4x and improving customer experience by 10x.
- A Tier 1 investment bank estimating savings of $40m.
What do they all have in common? They all selected MongoDB to deliver applications never previously possible.
Organizations spend too much time and money on databases — over $40B per year — and still more on the resources required to manage them. Learn how organizations are solving this problem with MongoDB. In this whitepaper, you'll learn:
- Success stories of large enterprise customers, such as MetLife and Telefonica, that are using MongoDB to operate faster, better, and leaner.
- Playbook to help you emulate the success of companies in your industry.
- Actionable steps to become faster, better, and leaner.
Relational databases have a long-standing position in most organizations, and for good reason. But companies are increasingly considering alternatives to legacy relational infrastructure, such as NoSQL databases. In this whitepaper, you'll learn:
- In evaluating NoSQL products, there are 5 critical dimensions to consider when choosing the right NoSQL database for your applications and/or businesses.
- In-depth explanation and key takeaways of these dimensions.
- Why MongoDB is the most widely used NoSQL database in the market.
Despite the hype, Big Data is more than just a buzzword. Big Data is enabling organizations to create new products, to outpace their competitors and to save tens of millions of dollars. In this whitepaper, you'll learn:
- What is big data and an overview of the data management landscape.
- Examples of customers innovating with Big Data using MongoDB, the leading NoSQL database.
- How to select Big Data technologies, given the nascent state of the market.
In this introductory technical paper, you'll learn:
- The architecture of MongoDB.
- How MongoDB builds and runs applications today.
- MongoDB's document data model, query model, data management, consistency, durability, availability and performance.
This guide outlines best practices and considerations for achieving performance at scale in a MongoDB system in a number of key areas, including:
- Hardware, application patterns, schema design and indexing.
- Disk I/O, Amazon EC2.
- Designing for benchmarks.
This document provides guidance on best practices for deploying and managing MongoDB clusters.
- It assumes familiarity with the architecture of MongoDB and a basic understanding of concepts related to enterprise software deployment.
- Because MongoDB is designed to be simple to administer and to deploy, most operations professionals find they can become competent with MongoDB in a short period of time and with minimal training.
Data security and privacy is a critical concern in today’s connected world. Data analyzed from new sources such as social media, logs, mobile devices and sensor networks has become as sensitive as traditional transaction data generated by back-office systems. For this reason, big data technologies must evolve to meet the regulatory compliance standards demanded by industry and government. This whitepaper provides an overview of MongoDB’s security architecture, including authentication, authorization, auditing and encryption, collectively designed to to defend, detect and control access to valuable online big data.
Data is the core currency in today’s digital economy. In the same way that central banks take extensive measures to safeguard this vital asset, organizations need to take every practical measure to protect their data. In this whitepaper, you'll learn:
- About the importance of a backup and recovery strategy for your database.
- The eight key considerations for evaluating a backup strategy.
- The three methods for protecting your mission critical MongoDB data.
Relational databases are being pushed beyond their limits because of the way we build and run applications today, coupled with growth in data sources and user loads. To address these challenges, companies like Salesforce.com, MTV and Cisco have migrated successfully from relational databases to MongoDB. In this whitepaper, you'll learn:
- Step by step how to migrate from a relational database to MongoDB.
- The relevant technical considerations, such as differences between the relational and document data models and the implications for schema design.
- Indexing, queries, application integration and data migration.
We compare the total cost of ownership (TCO) of MongoDB and Oracle. In this whitepaper, you'll learn:
- TCO comparison of upfront costs such as initial developer and administrator effort, software licenses, and server and storage hardware.
- TCO comparison of ongoing costs such as maintenance and support.
- Topline implications of using MongoDB.
Apollo Group was planning a strategic initiative to create a cloud-based learning management platform. In this whitepaper, you'll learn:
- The challenges of the project team's existing Oracle database that had neither the flexibility nor the capacity to meet their future needs.
- The methodologies used to evaluate alternative technologies.
- Why the Apollo Group ended up selecting MongoDB.
Big data is an essential extension of BI & analytics platforms, presenting new sources of operational insight & discovery. However, the rate of data ingestion coupled with its complexity & volume are beyond the constraints of many traditional databases used in today's BI systems. In this whitepaper, you'll learn:
- How BI and analytics are evolving with the emergence of big data.
- The importance of differentiating between online and offline big data.
- How MongoDB's rich document model, powerful analytical capabilities and integration with leading BI and analytics tools provides a foundation to integrate online big data with existing BI and analytics platforms.
As more applications are exposed as services to global audiences, the scalability and availability of your database across geographic regions becomes a critical consideration in systems selection and design.
In this whitepaper you will learn about:
* MongoDB’s cross-region data center awareness
* Deployment topologies, including active/active data centers and disaster recovery
* How organizations in diverse industries use MongoDB to scale global operations
As more internal business units and project teams build modern applications on MongoDB, architects and operations teams can improve agility, efficiency, accountability and governance by offering MongoDB-as-a-Service.
This whitepaper provides the top 10 considerations you make including:
* Systems design
* Virtualization and multi-tenancy
* Management, accounting and compliance
MongoDB and Bosch Software Innovations have collaborated to build a powerful Internet of Things application platform to support new IoT business models.
In this whitepaper you will learn:
- New use-cases enabled by the IoT
- Solutions to manage devices, assets and events in an IoT platform
- How to overcome the 5 key data management challenges presented by the IoT
Adobe Experience Manager (AEM) 6.0 is a major step forward in enabling marketing teams to create, manage, and optimize digital customer experiences across channels. As a persistence layer for AEM, MongoDB introduces several new capabilities which we will explore in this white paper.
As one of the leading M2M, IoT and Big Data research and consulting firms, Machina Research has unique insight into how big data presents challenges and opportunities in the rapidly evolving IoT landscape. Download their research note to learn:
- Key database requirements to address IoT applications
- Impacts to traditional data management technologies
- Alternative technologies that should be on your radar
Telcos are under attack from software companies and over-the-top competitors. Learn how MongoDB can help increase competitiveness. In this whitepaper, you'll learn:
- Historically, how the telecommunication industry adapted to changing demands and what new challenges telecoms are faced with today.
- 7 customer case studies of telecoms innovating with the use of a new database.
- How MongoDB enables telecoms to couple the resources of a MNC with the speed of a startup, helping them to expand their customer bases, increase ARPU and reduce churn.
The consumer TV experience has changed. Gone are the days of the static, single-threaded viewing experience in the living room. Today, consumers have new requirements; they want content on-demand, on their device of choice and on their terms. In this whitepaper, you'll learn:
- The changing landscape of TV and factors that prompt service providers to evolve their offerings.
- The 5 ways that service providers can modernize their TV offerings to be competitive.
- What databases have to do with television and how an open-source document database, such as MongoDB, can help service providers to meet the needs of the modern consumer.
Subscriber Data Management (SDM) is core to the future of telcos, battling to prevent relegation to the status of a dumb pipe. In this whitepaper, you'll learn:
- The promise and challenges of SDM, including the rise of big data.
- Why MongoDB for SDM, with samples of subscriber data schema.
- SDM in Action with MongoDB - How Telefonica liberated its subscriber data.
- Resources to get started today.
MongoDB 2.6 builds on five years of innovation and hundreds of thousands of deployments to provide a new foundation for the database, drivers and sophisticated management tools that make operating MongoDB simple at any scale.
Today’s digitally-oriented society has created a new generation of shopper – one who lives across channels and expects personalization, perfect information, and instant gratification. These evolving consumer behaviors and expectations can be an incredible challenge for retailers, but they also represent a tremendous opportunity for leading brands to further differentiate themselves from the competition with technologies and processes that enable the omni-channel retail experience.