Content management comprises a diverse set of applications that store and serve content, as well as the associated metadata. These apps include e-commerce websites, online publications, web content management systems (CMS), document management, archives and others.
Basic content management systems can handle simple content and associated metadata. Next-generation content management solutions, however, can incorporate myriad data types, present and repurpose them dynamically, and support numerous delivery channels, to:
- Increase user engagement, like MTV’s unified CMS that makes it easy to roll out new features and channels for any of its 200+ web properties.
- Accelerate time to market, like Craigslist’s ability to cut out months of downtime previously required to update its archive.
- Decrease infrastructure costs, like eBay’s Zoom system that consolidates all media metadata across the 500 million items listed on the site.
- Agility. Today’s CMS is not just a storage system, it is a platform. Users continue to demand new features and products, and if the CMS cannot support those because the database is too rigid, business suffers.
- Diverse Data. A modern CMS must be able to handle not only basic text, photos and documents, but also social media feeds and other new sources of data.
- Dynamic. Users also demand dynamic content, and it is hard to accommodate this with traditional relational databases.
- Scalability. An internal app may support thousands of users. But a photo-sharing app or news website may grow to attract millions of users -- like Craigslist. The database must support a user base of any scale.
- Dynamic schemas in MongoDB provide a simple way to stay agile and accommodate new features.
- Documents in MongoDB lend themselves to combining structured and unstructured data in a single data store.
- Rich query language, indexing and search enable CMS to serve the right content to the right user at the right time.
- Horizontal Scaling allows organizations to support millions of users.
Your Partnership with MongoDB
Bring your next-generation content management applications to market faster with lower effort, cost and risk with MongoDB Enterprise. Through consultative, proactive support we can help grow your content from development to production. Take advantage of management tools, zero-downtime upgrades, disaster recovery, enterprise-grade security, OS certifications and on-demand training. Contact us to learn more.
Steve Bond, Forbes
Jake Porway, The New York Times Company