Effective sharding is one of the keys to a scalable MongoDB deployment. In this month’s blog contest, we want to hear about how you sharded your data!
The rules are simple: share how you sharded your data in MongoDB by writing a description of your data model. Do it all in a detailed blog post and make sure you answer the following questions:
- What did you chose for your shard key and why?
- What are the most common queries/updates to your data and how do they leverage your shard key?
- What other shard key options did you consider and why were they rejected?
The winner will be selected by the engineering team at 10gen, so write your entry for a technical audience. Once complete, submit a link to your blog post in the comments section of this post by the end of the month. In addition, tweet your blog post with the hashtag #MongoDevBlog. You can follow the hashtag for entries and discussion about the contest.
We’ll announce the winner in early November. The winner will receive all the prizes listed below, and everyone who enters will receive a MongoDB giftpack.
October contest prizes
- Apple T.V. and $100 iTunes gift card
- Free entry for you and two friends to the MongoDB conference of your choice
- Entry into the MongoDB App of the Year Contest
- Your blog tweeted out to the 10,000+ followers of @mongodb
MongoDB App of the Year
At the end of the year, we’ll pick the best entry from all the monthly contest entries to win the App of the Year. The App of the Year winner will win either a MacBook Pro or an all-expenses-paid trip to New York City or San Francisco for one of our MongoDB conferences.