Technical Services Lead
Palo Alto, CA
Servicing the most popular NoSQL database, with growth in every industry vertical, presents new challenges every day. Successful members of the Technical Services team will not only be comfortable diving into these uncharted waters but will be excited to solve the problems our diverse customers face.
Team members will apply strong problem solving skills and will acquire a broad understanding of our products as well as a wide range of innovative customer applications and environments, from Foursquare to CERN to Metlife and everywhere in-between. At the end of the day, you’ll be able to look at these groundbreaking applications and say that you had a hand in making them happen.
The Technical Services team at MongoDB, Inc. is responsible for ensuring customer success in their use of MongoDB through:
- consulting on application or schema design
- optimizing performance and solving scalability issues
- resolving production outages
- designing and reviewing operational procedures like business continuity plans
- explaining the internals of MongoDB
The Technical Services Lead must have the technical skills to be able to tackle the various issues above, as well as the leadership ability to help build, mentor, and grow the rest of the Technical Services team. The MongoDB staff have a fanatical commitment to our customers’ success and it’s important that you share that. The Technical Services Lead reports into the regional manager (for the Americas) and will be supervising the engineers in their location.
- Help our customers succeed by solving their challenging technical problems, all the way from design through to production operations. This includes supervising their team’s workflow, working on hands-on customer issues, and managing problem escalation
- Lead their local team, including coordinating, mentoring, and actively helping to recruit new members of the team. This includes performing resume reviews, phone screens, and in-person interviews, making hiring recommendations to the Technical Services Manager, running local team meetings, and providing regular mentoring and guidance to their team
- Contribute to internal technical projects, which can include software development, benchmarking, building documentation and training guides, and providing oversight on other engineers’ project work
- Optional, but encouraged: interact with the community at meetups and conferences
- Strong background in one or more of the following (ideally with some experience in the rest): Software development, Application design, Systems administration, Network administration, Database administration, Data architecture and design, Performance tuning and benchmarking, Technical Support on back-end services (example: databases)
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- The ability to think on your feet, remain calm under pressure, and solve problems in real-time
- Strong diagnostic/ troubleshooting process, with significant experience troubleshooting real, end-to-end technical issues
- The desire and ability to rapidly learn a wide variety of new technical skills
Nice to haves
- Experience administering large-scale production environments, including hardware, operating systems (Linux or Windows), networks (including firewalls and load balancers)
- Experience managing large scale databases (RDBMS or NoSQL or both)
- Experience using or managing MongoDB
- Language skills (Japanese, Mandarin, German, Spanish, French are all plusses)
- Basic team leadership or management skills, preferably with hands-on experience
MongoDB (from humongous) is reinventing data management and powering big data as the leading NoSQL database. Designed for how we build and run applications today, it empowers organizations to be more agile and scalable. MongoDB enables new types of applications, better customer experience, faster time to market and lower costs. MongoDB has a thriving global community with more than 6 million downloads, 125,000 Online Education registrations, 25,000 MongoDB User Group (MUG) members and 20,000 annual MongoDB Days attendees. The company has more than 900 customers, including many of the world’s largest organizations.
To all recruitment agencies: MongoDB does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias or MongoDB employees. MongoDB is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.