We’re pleased to introduce a free usage tier to MMS Backup, our online backup service designed for MongoDB. The free tier will make it easier for new users to get started with the service.
MMS offers point-in-time recovery for replica sets and consistent snapshots for sharded systems. It is also one of the lowest overhead ways to backup MongoDB, continually reading the oplog and transferring the data encrypted to the backup service.
The free tier will be available to new users during their first 12 months using MMS Backup. In that period, any monthly bill under $5 is free. What does $5 get you? It’s roughly enough to back up a 2GB database with 500MB of oplog data churn per month.
With the free tier in place, we expect MongoDB users to take advantage of this offering in a variety of ways. The free tier can be used to sample the service for a larger, mission critical application. You can also leverage MMS during development before your dataset grows. And the free tier is perfect for side projects that you want to safeguard but don’t have the time to invest in building a backup strategy.
Getting started with MMS Backup is easy:
- Create an account at mms.mongodb.com
- Install monitoring on your deployment (monitoring is free)
- Register for backup at mms.mongodb.com/backup
- Install an agent in your environment and start an initial sync to our datacenters
- Rest assured knowing that your backups are reliable and safe